• Advertisement

Ordering Oregon Parts in Canada

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Ordering Oregon Parts in Canada

Postby Skywatcher » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:08 pm

Greetings All

When trying to place orders for certain Oregon parts through Canadian distributors, I get the message that part is NLA or is not a good number, yet both parts are in the 2019 Oregon catalog. The Oregon part numbers in question are 49-608 and 54-006. Any ideas anyone?

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Advertisement

Re: Ordering Oregon Parts in Canada

Postby bgsengine » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:35 pm

Skywatcher wrote:Greetings All

When trying to place orders for certain Oregon parts through Canadian distributors, I get the message that part is NLA or is not a good number, yet both parts are in the 2019 Oregon catalog. The Oregon part numbers in question are 49-608 and 54-006. Any ideas anyone?

Sky

49-608 Gasket kit for Honda - If the distributor is also a distributor for Honda, (or any other brand that uses that part number) they may call it NLA from that particular supplier. Same with the 2-cycle oil. We have to order Oregon parts that replace Briggs parts from Gardner (kohler distributor) and Oregon parts that replace Kohler, from Power Distributors (Briggs distributor) because of that reason - Kohler distributor will list Oregon's Kohler parts as NLA , as will Briggs Distributor with Briggs parts.. I imagine it would be the same with other suppliers that are also OEM Distributors, since OE Parts give them better profit (and warranty support) than the AM parts do.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:33 pm

I have been seeing that being done at many distributors. I even seen distributors that have lost contracts list items as NLA. This happens when they have only partial line card access of OEM. Here I have problem getting Cub Cadets from the MTD as some are restricted to Cub Cadet dealers only. And recently I was needing a PTO engage lever for a Murray even though Briggs distributors had it listed and priced in their price files they still listed it as NLA when I went to order it. Sometimes it takes buying from a different source to get the parts. But always pay careful attention to costs.

Just because something listed NLA, I don't just give up I let fingers do some hunting around at different vendors that I have brought from over the years and can usually find one that has the parts.

BGS recently Gardner did quit carrying Briggs so I am back at what is now A&I. But A&I and Power Distributors both will not honor Briggs parts warranty for trade accounts. This is just something I found recently as I got fuel solenoid that was bad out the new package that I am having to eat the cost on bad parts as none of the local dealers will honor the Briggs warranty either since I didn't buy the part from them. You must a dealer to get warranty replacement and even then it like jumping though a ton of hoops.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:18 pm

KE4AVB wrote:
BGS recently Gardner did quit carrying Briggs so I am back at what is now A&I. But A&I and Power Distributors both will not honor Briggs parts warranty for trade accounts. This is just something I found recently as I got fuel solenoid that was bad out the new package that I am having to eat the cost on bad parts as none of the local dealers will honor the Briggs warranty either since I didn't buy the part from them. You must a dealer to get warranty replacement and even then it like jumping though a ton of hoops.

Never saw Gardner with Briggs parts at all (unless you refer to the Oregon equivalents to Briggs?) (Matter of fact Gardner and Power Distributors were at one time "kissing cousins", and along with Gardner-Connell, all used the same credit department, I think Gardner and PD still do) But yeah, parts warranties are a royal PITA to deal with, so I used to just stack up parts and file like once a month until I figured out my time spent on the paperwork was not worth the check from Briggs. Few days ago actually got an EMPTY plastic bag for one part that was $2.00 or so, I just threw it away and adjusted inventory for it.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby RoyM » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:23 pm

I worked for a Briggs distributor who also handled Oregon. We would find parts in the catalogue that were NLA by the time we ordered them due to the lag time, their suppliers no longer had them. That is odd about warranty, Power Source Canada is part of the North America wide Independent Distributor Network yet we honored warranty to our trade accounts. Oregon was a little more difficult to deal with but usually no problems on legitimate claims.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:46 pm

Sky

What is the honda number for 49-608. Google hasn't found it for me.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:50 pm

Is this what you are looking for?
https://www.bantasaw.com/catalog/viewpr ... ?i=&p=9930
I'm small volume but my price is 3.25 rather than 5.02
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:57 pm

I know strange about the Briggs warranty and kinda hurts to have 58.50 fuel solenoid to be defective right of the bag but it could be worst it could be a bad engine. It not even an electrical problem either, it is mechanical. It will not retract unless you touch the pin.

I also having a fight with a Xtreme right now on a clutch that failed after two hours of use. The rotor seized to the disc. They ask what the input voltage was. When I said 15v they said it too high but I told them that was the Kawasaki FD750D spec max voltage. Trying to void warranty because of this. If they don't cover it I out 200.00 as I warrantied it per their warranty.

BGS maybe it is because I was under Dixie Sales which now is part of Gardner.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:49 pm

38racing wrote:

Sky

What is the honda number for 49-608. Google hasn't found it for me.

Oregon 49-608 GASKET KIT HONDA 16010-ZE2-812
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Skywatcher » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:30 pm

Hi 38

I'm starting to think it might be worth my while getting a Banta Saw account, they seem to have a wide selection of all sorts of stuff and they ship from within Canada Too. I have noticed that Power Source Canada will sometimes ship a part from Delta BC to Ontario, then ship it back to Alberta and charge me double freight. Why they don't just ship from BC to Alberta, I don't know. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum