• Advertisement

carb gasket thickness

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

carb gasket thickness

Postby 38racing » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:10 pm

I'm trying to see if an old 5hp tecumseh on a snowblower will run. With original carb it would die under load. Inspecting it I found the throttle shaft had way too much play and was binding when governor rod was trying to move it. I bought a cheap clone adjustable carb. I can get it running at 3500 rpm but it won't idle down, just stops. Working on the idle mixture adjust so far hasn't solved it. I may not have the rod from governor lever to throttle in correct holes. One reputable youtuber video shows it like mine but a tecumseh manual shows a small frame in different hole. Concerned that youtuber is showing one that someone else had done wrong. Other issue is the new carb came with the carb to intake gasket. I haven't used it because original was still on intake and looked ok. However it's about 3x the thickness. Would that impact performance?
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: carb gasket thickness

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:40 pm

Just an opinion but if the original was fairly thin it shouldn't be a problem other than minor adjustments. But if the original gasket is thick like those on some the old Brigg's engines using the 3 qt fuel then it would cause a serious mis-alignment.

The governor link if I'm not mistake most Tecumseh governor arm have a slip joint other than the clamp part on the governor bell crank which give some leeway in link connection.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:35 pm

Your situation is exactly the same as we run into on the old Briggs flatheads with the "Pulsa-Jet" carbs. (KE4AVB is correct- no surprise). They all originally came with the THICK gasket. When we take an engine into our inventory, and it still has the OEM THICK gasket, I will always try to reuse it, condition permitting. Surprisingly, they are almost always in great condition, even after 40-50years. The ones I see sold as replacements are only the thin ones. I would say reuse it if possible.
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:03 pm

no change with the thin one. Couple times I had it down to 2000 but only if I move throttle lever down slow. Idle mixture screw doesn't have noticeable effect. Noticed also that when idling down the tab on the throttle bracket doesn't come back near the idle speed screw. Waiting for some snow now to see if it has power.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:47 pm

thought I'd update this. I was working on it because it died under snow load which I had thought could be binding throttle so went with new carb. It was suggested to me that I had a bad exhaust valve. I checked compression and got 70 psi. I pulled valve cover and found 0 clearance on the exhaust. I pulled the head and with valves closed I sprayed with carb cleaner and saw some run down the exhaust valve stem. I ground enough off it to get to spec. lapped both valves. Runs good and compression is over 100. Not likely now to get tested with snow until next winter (I hope)
38racing
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum