• Advertisement

leaf blower leaking gas through carb

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

leaf blower leaking gas through carb

Postby 38racing » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:47 pm

I have a leaf blower and the carb is mounted with air intake pointed down. Fuel lines go horizontally into carb from bottom of tank. I replaced lines last summer but can't recall if I opened the carb too. I brought it out of storage after watching a video of a guy clearing snow from his vehicle. It had an empty tank so I added fuel and it ran for a while then stopped. Later I got it running again and then left it. When I came back after some days I thought fuel was lower and mower hood that I had set in on was damp. I confirmed by placing it in a pan. Removed air cover and filter was soaked and there was visible leakage. Primer is moving fuel as expects. Any idea whats wrong? a check valve? From what I see I think it's a zama h39 (c1u?)

geez. One on ebay.ca $38 CDN + $48 to ship Ebay.ca is such a waste of time looking at
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: leaf blower leaking gas through carb

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:05 am

Most likely either the metering diaphragm is stiffen holding the metering needle partially open or the metering needle is worn. Primer bases rarely reverse leak but I seen a couple over the years. Probably a good UC cleaning and a full carburetor repair kit will resolve the problem.

If it is the C1U-H39(A) the kit is a RB-29.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby jwales » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:24 pm

I have had pretty good luck with similar issues by running the carb through my USC a couple times. Little more time in labor but saves time (and maybe a little change) waiting for parts to show up.
jwales
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:46 pm

Never imagined I'd find myself saying this but having to point out that these days one can find a whole carb (and fuel system kit etc) on amazon for less than a carburetor KIT.. and surprisingly enough those aftermarket china carbs seem to have been improving in quality (but you do need to be very careful to check images for correct throttle and fitments, because their part number and model fitment cross references are not always reliable)

Reason I'd recommend checking at Amazon these days is, they seem to have warehouses in Canada so they may be able to ship for far less than the ebay sellers (not to mention I think eBay is going down the toilet unless the powers that be change directions drastically.... many many sellers are leaving that platform to go on their own or to Amazon, so selection is getting worse (and so many new vendors that are just awful.. ) I don't even look at eBay any more unless what I'm looking for is just not listed anywhere else..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:03 pm

A lot of engine parts show up on amazon.ca as 'currently unavailable'. A few times I 've found items on .com that will ship to Canada. Ebay.ca is a waste of time. This h39a seems to be a rare beast. I did find one in Hong Kong for 20$ cdn. Might only take 67 days to arrive. I'll check out rb-29 kit too.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:37 pm

if my computer file is correct I have 2 kits plus maybe an incomplete one. Hope incomplete one doesn't mean I did service this carb and screwed it up.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:38 am

38, You might want to check DC Spares out of Hong Kong. They supposedly have a 7-20 day ship time to Canada. You first order should give an idea of the shipping times on the kits.

I have been using their kits lately and they seem to very good quality. Mainly switching due the high cost of the Zama kits lately since Stihl took them over. Can't get every Zama kit but they do have a lot of them. They even have a couple of the Ruixing cube kits. Not bad when you stock a particular item due the high usage in your particular area.

As for buying the after market carbs I try every once awhile and still have terrible luck getting a working carb but I haven't tried DC Spare's carbs yet.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:16 pm

ok. just getting back to this project. Iopened the carb and found that the intake screen has debris in it so I'm hoping that means that I never had it opened before so I'll put in in USC and do a kit now.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:33 am

[quote="bgsengine"]Never imagined I'd find myself saying this but having to point out that these days one can find a whole carb (and fuel system kit etc) on amazon for less than a carburetor KIT.. and surprisingly enough those aftermarket china carbs seem to have been improving in quality (but you do need to be very careful to check images for correct throttle and fitments, because their part number and model fitment cross references are not always reliable)

Same here. (don't like to brag on China clone stuff, but:
China clone carbs are getting little more reliable, But I save the bad OEM carb's for parts. I've seen some of the China clone carb bowls turn to bad rust inside within a years time using non- ethanol gas. Can sometimes buy a complete clone carb, and get a tune up kit with the carb with free shipping for less than a Nikki or Walbro kit costs, but have to carefully inspect pic's of the clone carb for choke and throttle linkages, especially if the carb is going onto a generator engine. I also sometimes get a cheap clone carb just to see if the OEM high dollar carb is actually the only problem with the engine and if so then later in spare time do a USonic cleaning and repair of the OEM carb and re-install.

Noticed Amazon small engine shipments are lots slower shipping out in last few weeks.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:15 am

Personally I have learned to just leave them out in the cold. Too many problems most and I don't have the time or patience to rework their screw-ups. Just like the aftermarket v-belt supplier that I am no longer using beside I can now get the OEM Husqvarna (AYP), MTD and Cub Cadet belts just as cheap as the aftermarket most times now.

The latest screw ups is the XTreme electric clutch line. From incorrect crosses to manufacture errors. They started out as a great source for clutches but now are messing up. of the last two I ordered. first one was completely wrong for the application and the second one jams the engine upon torquing it to specs.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum