• Advertisement

Inverter power cutting out.

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Inverter power cutting out.

Postby 38racing » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:35 pm

I have little used Hyundai 1000 inverter. I had it running maybe a month ago when a storm was forecasted. Never had to actually use it then. I needed it this past week and it wouldn't start. It was the plug. Now engine runs fine but power stops. Green output ready light comes on. It has output but overload light flashes on and then off and green light goes off and out disappears. If overload stays off green might come back on and power works. It keeps repeating this even if there is no load. Even if output switch to receptacle is off. Sometimes the overload light stays on. Pushing reset has no immediate change and it might reset with just leaving it or multi pushing reset. I hoping it might be a defective resetable breaker. I'm guessing it's before the toggle switch that turns power on/off to the receptacle?
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Inverter power cutting out.

Postby Skywatcher » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:52 pm

Hi 38

Generally speaking on these little (usually Chinese) inverter generators, if the red overload light comes on when there's nothing connected to the generator, it usually means the inverter unit (mother board) has failed. I'm guessing your unit is a Hyundai HY1000Si, if it is, then see part # 98098423 on the Generator Guru website. Hope this points you in the right direction,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby 38racing » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:42 pm

Skywatcher wrote:Hi 38

Generally speaking on these little (usually Chinese) inverter generators, if the red overload light comes on when there's nothing connected to the generator, it usually means the inverter unit (mother board) has failed. I'm guessing your unit is a Hyundai HY1000Si, if it is, then see part # 98098423 on the Generator Guru website. Hope this points you in the right direction,

Sky

Thanks. I found that part. About $25 CDN from the UK. I have found what looks like a generic 20 amp available from Amazon for abou $10. I think I'll take it apart and bypass the breaker unit through a simple fuse and see what happens.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:34 pm

so far I've just had time to pull the trip switch out. Using an auto scaling VOM it does not stay at 0 resistance. Will pop around commonly showing .5 ohms but sometimes much higher number. Might be able to try unit will just a fuse on friday.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:24 pm

So now I'm confused. I guess I don't understand inverter circuits. I replaced the trip switch by removing leads from the switch and attaching them to a fuse holder. I noticed that one lead was from the harness to one tab of the switch. The wire on the other tab actually went to one tab of the 12v receptacle. The other tab of that receptacle went into the harness. It made no difference. Overload light would flash and power was lost. If overload stayed off long enough power came back. Now this is confusing me is that when it's running with power I can pull the fuse and it stays with power for a while. I figured if I pulled the fuse it would see it as overload. Anyone know inverters or point me to material. Maybe as suggested that the mother board is done.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:43 pm

So I was just looking at a unit for sale. The trip switch on it is clearly labelled 'dc protector reset'. So it has nothing to do with the main AC. I guess it is the motherboard that's sensing an overload.
38racing
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum