• Advertisement

finding briggs model number

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

finding briggs model number

Postby 38racing » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:44 am

I bought a used briggs 1350 series snow engine. I suspect the model type was on the pieces of trim missing around bottom of tank. There is a sticker on shroud with build date of 12/08 followed by a serial number. Wondering if Briggs could give me model type from that.
Last edited by 38racing on Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: finding briigs model number

Postby bgsengine » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:59 am

Stamped in valve cover.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:36 am

Thanks. I never actually looked there. I have a similar 750 and it was on a sticker near the primer.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:59 am

Also if you give the serial # of the engine we might be to look it up too as most of the newer can be lookup by the serial #.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:14 pm

It was on the valve cover. The 750 series that has a sticker on a plastic cover doesn't have it on the valve cover.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:30 pm

38racing wrote:It was on the valve cover. The 750 series that has a sticker on a plastic cover doesn't have it on the valve cover.

Most Briggs Intek OHV Engines will have model-type-date code stamped in valve cover... There's some (typically the 9P series small lawnmower engines with the plastic/nylon float carb) that those numbers are etched or engraved in engine block (forward of muffler) - Basically for an OHV, valve covers are the first place to look . Some engines had both a sticker/label as well as stamped engine numbers, and then later models (after 2012 I believe) had a full serial number (for Emissions compliance) which was the date code PLUS additional sequence number, and those engines can be looked up by serial number on briggs power portal..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:41 pm

38racing wrote:It was on the valve cover. The 750 series that has a sticker on a plastic cover doesn't have it on the valve cover.

Just found 750 has it printed on edge of mounting base near an oil drain.
38racing
Forum Pro

Re: finding briggs model number

Postby 38racing » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:49 pm

So I removed the 750 and went to mount the 1350. Mounting bolt pattern is different . ugh. Side to side is about an inch more. Problem is this poulin does not have square chassis. It tapers in at top so holes on left are over air. Even front to back are 1/4 in different. Debating on whether to bolt a piece of angle steel to side of chassis to fit over the taper and bolt left side to it. Even my friend's big 12 hp Tecumseh ohv seems to have the smaller bolt pattern of the 750.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:24 pm

38racing wrote:So I removed the 750 and went to mount the 1350. Mounting bolt pattern is different . ugh. Side to side is about an inch more. Problem is this poulin does not have square chassis. It tapers in at top so holes on left are over air. Even front to back are 1/4 in different. Debating on whether to bolt a piece of angle steel to side of chassis to fit over the taper and bolt left side to it. Even my friend's big 12 hp Tecumseh ohv seems to have the smaller bolt pattern of the 750.

Check the bottom of the 1350 - Are you sure there isn't a blind hole that will take a straight bolt (without nut) ? But that does seem rather odd, usually briggs has a very flexible "footprint" unless whatever it is you are installing it to (you didn't mention that) was built specifically for the 750 series...
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:37 pm

bgsengine wrote:
38racing wrote:So I removed the 750 and went to mount the 1350. Mounting bolt pattern is different . ugh. Side to side is about an inch more. Problem is this poulin does not have square chassis. It tapers in at top so holes on left are over air. Even front to back are 1/4 in different. Debating on whether to bolt a piece of angle steel to side of chassis to fit over the taper and bolt left side to it. Even my friend's big 12 hp Tecumseh ohv seems to have the smaller bolt pattern of the 750.

Check the bottom of the 1350 - Are you sure there isn't a blind hole that will take a straight bolt (without nut) ? But that does seem rather odd, usually briggs has a very flexible "footprint" unless whatever it is you are installing it to (you didn't mention that) was built specifically for the 750 series...

There are other holes but only affect possible front to back but not cross ways. 1350 is not current so haven't found spec. I did find for 1450 and it has the same as my 1350 but has 1 in shaft rather than my 3/4. Found and lost spec for 1150 lol. It has smaller pattern I need and I'm assuming 3/4 shaft. I've got a Honda clone with the small pattern but can't fit because the muffler hits the shoot control upright.
38racing
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum