• Advertisement

Push mower

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Push mower

Postby jerkputter123 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:27 am

A man up the street from me give me a good looking Murray mower. 9T602-5019-B1 - Briggs & Stratton Vertical Engine with the Pulsa-Jet plastic carb.

He said it had been worked on and wouldn't run. I got it to running fine with a good cleaning and new diaphram but someone removed the original governor spring and stuck one on it that is rigged. Is there a way I can make a spring so this thing will work for my wife to use around my house ? We got a good JD riding mower but sometimes she needs a push mower. I don't have another mower to look at to see where the springs should go plus I don't have those. I do believe it had two. I would buy them if I knew where to find them . I am not going into any business right now. Thanks
jerkputter123
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Push mower

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:42 am

09T602-5019-B1 uses the 698719 governor spring which is a very low spring rate spring. You are better off just buying one or you will have all kinds of problem including the engine running so hot that it will seize. How I know? I never nearly ruin an engine by experimenting trying to use a different governor spring.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby acscolo » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:48 pm

I agree, it's takes part number 698719. Pick one up at your local small engine repair shop. Or search Amazon or eBay. Cost is about $5. Don't beat yourself up for that price.
Glove up and Disinfect
R
acscolo

Postby jerkputter123 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:33 pm

Anyone got a picture to see where it goes. I don't mind buying one I just need to know where to connect it. Is this the only spring ? I need. Sorry for the questions but I don't have anything to go by.
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:00 pm

jerkputter123 wrote:Anyone got a picture to see where it goes. I don't mind buying one I just need to know where to connect it. Is this the only spring ? I need. Sorry for the questions but I don't have anything to go by.
Hook end goes into the throttle lever hole loop end goes through a slot and then over the V-notch on the rear tank support bracket. Should be a narrow piece sticking up that is part of the bracket, that can be bent in or out to adjust top no load RPM
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby jerkputter123 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:23 pm

You wouldn't happen to have a picture of one I could look to make sure I put it on right would you ? I know the one that was on it looks too strong and long. The replacement measures 1.5 inches, much shorter than what they had on it. I see a tab on rear tank bracket that I think you are talking about. I am not at the mower right now but I am going to it and look and report back.
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:54 pm

jerkputter123 wrote:You wouldn't happen to have a picture of one I could look to make sure I put it on right would you ? I know the one that was on it looks too strong and long. The replacement measures 1.5 inches, much shorter than what they had on it. I see a tab on rear tank bracket that I think you are talking about. I am not at the mower right now but I am going to it and look and report back.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kqGLF ... j1aP33JQ3W yellow circled areas on the white (or black) throttle lever, should find the hole the spring hooks into , and on the tab , you slip the loop over the notch so the end of loop hooks into the hole below notch.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby jerkputter123 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:24 pm

Thanks, I think I can figure that one out. That is mine for sure in the picture you linked. The spring that they had on it looks nothing like the one that is supposed to be looking at a picture on amazon. This was was 2.5 inches long and a hook on each end. OEM shows 1.5 inches long with the hook and loop. Someone must have lost the original one and tried to make one
I also need the primer bulb seat spring but I see you can't just order the spring. It looks like the seat and ball are good . Wish I could find just the spring. You know of a spring off something that might work otherwise I will just order the kit with ball spring and seat. Someone crushed the spring it looks like.
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby acscolo » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:44 pm

here's a link to the IPL for your mower
https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en ... 02-5019-b1
acscolo

Postby jerkputter123 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:12 pm

Thanks a lot. Should be able to work this out.
jerkputter123
Guide

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum