• Advertisement

Troy-Built Smart Touch

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Troy-Built Smart Touch

Postby plpitts1 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:18 am

Hello, I have a Troy-Bilt Tuff Cut 230 with SMART TOUCH PUSH LEVER STARTER SYSTEM, Model# 12AF5690711, Serial#1C094K90223. I only get spark if I have the Touch-N-Mow engaged (orange lever that engages spring start). So if It does not start on first attempt, the spring is now unsprung, I assume I am supposed to disengage the Touch-N-Mow, pull back the engine control bar (engine brake lever) and pull start it, but I get no spark. This does not make sense to me, I cannot seem to find a manual on this. I have not seen one of these before. Please help.
Thanks,
Pat
"Well, if they pay me off in tortillas, I'm gonna shoot 'em right in the eye"
plpitts1
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: Troy-Built Smart Touch

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:42 am

You're not alone. I haven't seen this system either. I did find an operator manual but that may not be of much help either.

https://usermanual.wiki/Troybilt/12AF5690711.1204384519/html

I would assume there is a kill switch on the engine's blade brake control. With being a Troybilt it most likely have one those Chinese MTD engines.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby plpitts1 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:50 am

Thanks, KE4AVB, Mainly just making sure I'm doing it right before I start taking it apart lol. The mower is like new, the lady bought it, used it a couple of times, and put it away years ago (with fuel in the carb). Looked like new till I opened up the carb.
Thanks,
Pat
plpitts1
Forum Regular

Postby plpitts1 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:28 am

User Error. There is a starter lever I was not holding down, thought I had tried that but maybe not.
Thanks
Pat
plpitts1
Forum Regular

Return to Technical Discussion Forum