• Advertisement

Push mower

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Push mower

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:58 am

Just to note engines using this governor spring tend to run slower then you expect at first. They will power up under load.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby jerkputter123 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:12 pm

Thanks, I just got the spring late today. Hope to install it and the primer parts this weekend. That spring is tiny :)
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby jerkputter123 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:13 am

Another quick question. I have three brand new spark plugs. RCJ6Y. Will these work in this briggs engine. I hate to buy another plug when I have these already. I think maybe I used them in my line trimmer, not sure. What is the recommended spark plug for this engine if not ?
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby 38racing » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:36 am

Rj19lm or equivalent. Should be a couple bucks.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby jerkputter123 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:51 am

Thanks, I found one of those in my shop hidden away :D
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby jerkputter123 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:19 pm

Well, I got the primer ball, seat and spring but I still can't get it to prime when I push it. I have checked everything I know to check. It just will not pick up the gas.
When I removed the primer I noticed the spring , ball and seat was just laying in there like when I first started working on this thing.

I put spring in first, then ball and seat with smooth part of seat facing the ball and spring. Is this correct ? It sure looked like thats the way it goes.

When I removed the primer bulb the same thing as before, the parts were just laying under there. They didn't stay in.
I used this website to see how it went
https://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/br ... e_carb.asp
I don't like being beat. It did sound like the primer was working when I first got it back together but no fuel showing up when I pushed it. It is almost ready to go in trash but not just yet :D
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:07 pm

jerkputter123 wrote:Well, I got the primer ball, seat and spring but I still can't get it to prime when I push it. I have checked everything I know to check. It just will not pick up the gas.
When I removed the primer I noticed the spring , ball and seat was just laying in there like when I first started working on this thing.

I put spring in first, then ball and seat with smooth part of seat facing the ball and spring. Is this correct ? When I removed the primer bulb the same thing as before, the parts were just laying under there. They didn't stay in.
I used this website to see how it went
https://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/br ... e_carb.asp
I don't like being beat. It did sound like the primer was working when I first got it back together but no fuel showing up when I pushed it.

Should be correct - spring goes in, then ball, then seat with the groove facing out towards you (ball on smooth side) - To prime, you need to look at the circuits - It gets its fuel from the "bowl" (the upper sump) - but you need to be sure of gasket/diaphragm in correct assembly order, and then also need to check if there is any tank warpage (or, just get a second gasket/diaphragm kit, and just use the gasket to double up on gaskets) - The fiber gasket goes against the carburetor body, the diaphragm goes against the fuel tank - also note you need to use care when tigthening the screws - DO NOT over-tighten especially on these. without a torque screwdriver, then you only want them to be just barely past snug (a "seat of the pants" estimate would be like using a screwdriver but only as tight as it will go by turning the screwdriver with 1 finger and thumb, the only force holding it in to the slots is its (the screwdriver's) own weight, until it cams out) - And finally - the torque sequence is counter-clockwise one at a time starting with the screw closest to center of carburetor, and again just past snug (about 10-15 inch pounds) - Because overtorquing warps the nylon carburetor body , and the sequence is intended to seal the fuel passages towards the middle of the carb first and working your way out.. With a new gasket and diaphragm installed, one way to check is pull the carb back off and see if you can see the impression left in the gasket by the sealing ridges of the carburetor, if spot "breaks" in that , that's where things are warped, and it is where a double gasket can help resolve those internal leaks.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby jerkputter123 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:05 pm

I will pull the gasket off tomorrow and check it out. I installed the diagram and gasket correct . I did have to use two gaskets on my other mower to stop it from leaking on the outside but it still would prime fine.
When I was ordering parts I got two so I used the old gasket to seal it on that one and it worked fine. No leaks
Now on the one I was originally working on for where the pump pulls gas. You said it pulls out of upper sump. Can I just stick the pickup ( the one that goes into upper sump in some gas and push the primer and make it work without bolting it to tank or does this thing have to be put back together ? I was able again tonight to install the spring, ball and seat again tonight. Not sure it will stay in place but will check tomorrow. I called myself installing it correct and not sure why it came back out ?
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby jerkputter123 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:04 pm

I can see the prints on gasket good after I took it apart again to see if it was sealing. I may just use it without the primer bulb and spray starting fluid in it to get it going. I have tried all the options I know to make the primer work and its a no go.
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:20 pm

jerkputter123 wrote:I can see the prints on gasket good after I took it apart again to see if it was sealing. I may just use it without the primer bulb and spray starting fluid in it to get it going. I have tried all the options I know to make the primer work and its a no go.

One other thing - the primer bulb itself - is it the correct one? there are two - one has a vent hole in the center.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum