• Advertisement

Toro Personal Pace Blade Adapter

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Toro Personal Pace Blade Adapter

Postby lefty » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:37 pm

Toro
Model: 20332
Serial: 290013494

This seems to run well but I was told after getting it that they had hit something. I took the blade off and the adapter is spinning freely on the shaft. So something sheared away in there. I also noticed that on the outside of the adapter, right where the key is, it has bulged a little and I can actually feel the metal move with my finger when I manipulate the adapter. So it snapped right through. The problem I'm having is that although I can spin it freely when it's mostly on, when I try to back it out to remove it, it binds up pretty good. i can feel that little bulge moving a bit and she gets a bit scratchy. Is there a correct way to get this thing off without totally screwing up the shaft. It binds pretty good. They hit something pretty good with this. My concern is that the key sheared right off and is cattywampus in there. Also, I'm not sure how to get the leverage if anyone has any tricks for me. Greatly appreciated.
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Toro Personal Pace Blade Adapter

Postby lefty » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:47 pm

Am I doing a piss poor job at explaining this? My wife tells me that's a problem I have. I can upload photos if it's helpful. Has anyone experienced this?
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:01 pm

Some times you just got to use brute force and whatever happens, happens. It is not your fault hit something. But once you get it off check for a bent crankshaft.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:11 pm

Understood. Thank you.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:55 pm

If it gives you fits, take a zip wheel and slice the hub. One assumes that the stamped key inside is binding.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:59 am

Nice to know there's that. Thank you.

I'm still at the phase where I'm staring at it and playing with it (two things my mother told me not to do as a child).

I'm fortunate to have that luxury since I usually only work on 1 or 2 machines at a time.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:01 am

Can you use a puller on it?
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:14 am

Not sure yet, the spacer is flopping around in there. It slides down a good inch or so. I was thinking about pushing off the bolt with a puller but I would need a longer one because I can't reach the thread from where it's hanging up.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby NO0C » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:40 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOI9dxpzpl8

This shows that the key is integral part of the pulley/blade adapter and not a separate part.
NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:51 pm

Correct. I just got it off. Fortunately, although part of the adapter, it looks like it was welded into a slot on the adapter. So I was able to use a cold chisel and get it to separate from the adapter from the outside, loosening it up a bit to give me a little more play when getting the adapter off. once I got it all the way off I could punch the key all the way out, leaving a nice rectangular hole on the adapter. But the damage is done. It looks like he bent the blade, the adapter, and the blade support. So we'll need new ones of those. The shaft looks pretty good but the keyway is a little buggered. I included a link to a picture to see if you guys think it's ok enough to replace these parts or if she's too far gone. Would you think it's still workable? Thanks for once again, giving me the confidence to forge on.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qD7Nj4Pmps1vVarc7
lefty
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum