• Advertisement

Masport mowers.

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Masport mowers.

Postby 38racing » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:14 am

Never heard of them until just saw one for sale on kijiji. Apparently an old company from New Zealand. Actually found a couple dealers within an hour of me.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Masport mowers.

Postby bgsengine » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:43 am

Yeah they just started coming into the USA a few years ago. They appear to be a very good quality mower - a dealer-only exclusive brand (but pricey) Central Power (Briggs distributorr) was the distributor, last I knew of.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Skywatcher » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:40 am

Hi 38 and BG

I believe the word Masport is an acronym made from Mason and Porter who were the founders of the company in New Zealand. One of my suppliers area reps tried to get me to carry this line of lawn mower, but I declined. People around here are driven by price not quality. It would be a very hard sell for me to convince Joe average consumer to buy a lawn mower from me for twice the price of what he or she considers a comparable unit at Costco or Home Depot. The fact that I would carry the warranty and service for these machines simply goes over their heads. All the average consumer sees is the sticker price and that's it. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby bgsengine » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:12 pm

Skywatcher wrote:Hi 38 and BG

I believe the word Masport is an acronym made from Mason and Porter who were the founders of the company in New Zealand. One of my suppliers area reps tried to get me to carry this line of lawn mower, but I declined. People around here are driven by price not quality. It would be a very hard sell for me to convince Joe average consumer to buy a lawn mower from me for twice the price of what he or she considers a comparable unit at Costco or Home Depot. The fact that I would carry the warranty and service for these machines simply goes over their heads. All the average consumer sees is the sticker price and that's it. All the best,

Sky

Took the words right out of my mouth - That's what Central Power was trying to get me to do too.. and same argument - (Even for Echo where I could MATCH any price from Home Depot, people were STILL going to Home Depot cause they thought it was a better deal... - because they could put it on their HD credit card on payments.... and pay more in interest and annual fees than they would have buying them from me..)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:20 pm

I got my personal opinion the general public. They are NUTS. All they see is the low dollars marks until it comes to repairs. Then they expect us to do the repairs for free. They no concept of what our overheads are or care. They just it to be cheap and last forever.

I just got a call from a customer that left his walk behind Swisher Trimmer since the 1st August and expect it to just sit there and none go wrong with it. Well only starts on induced fuel so in addition to the previous charge there will more charges now.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:40 pm

KE4AVB wrote:
I just got a call from a customer that left his walk behind Swisher Trimmer since the 1st August and expect it to just sit there and none go wrong with it. Well only starts on induced fuel so in addition to the previous charge there will more charges now.

That's why we had a big sign "NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR EQUIPMENT LEFT FOR OVER 30 DAYS AFTER REPAIRS ARE COMPLETED" and service orders marked down with notification date & time (first notification, 1 week 2nd notification , 1 month and monthly thereafter for 30-60-90 day, etc notifications) .. so "Well you said it was fixed" argument is met with "It was, and you were notified XX times, can't help it if you want to leave it sitting for 8 months" (Although I was in the habit of firing them up and run them a bit every 30 days or so)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Return to Technical Discussion Forum