• Advertisement

installing belt on engine?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

installing belt on engine?

Postby dart451 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:39 am

Never had one quite like this...installed the deck with all new belts but cannot figure out how to get belt on engine pulley! Craftsman GT3000, 917-275034 with electric clutch pulley...can't seem to find a way to release tension unless I take all the springs off...
dart451
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: installing belt on engine?

Postby bgsengine » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:51 am

generally I just roll them on. start belt in return side of PTO and roll PTO/engine/pulley over to roll belt on and into groove. Some units have a square drive slot cut into the idler arms so you can stick in a ratchet drive and/or extension to help stretch the spring enough to get a belt on , and other times I can put a socket with a long breaker bar on a idler pulley nut to tension the spring and get belt loose enough to get it started in to the pulley grooves, etc.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby dart451 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:01 pm

Thank you for the response...ya, tried to roll it on but it was quite impossible. I did take the one right side spring off and was able to get the belt on...thanks again!
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:23 pm

Sometimes if I'm having a hard time rolling the belt on the PTO, I'll remove a spindle cover and roll the belt on an outboard pulley where I can get at it.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:56 pm

If you are using aftermarket belts that might be your problem. As the belt should about 5/8 x 85-1/2". I know I had a heck of time getting right belts lately; unless, I order OEM.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum