• Advertisement

MTD LT12..38 tractor...this is a tough one!

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

MTD LT12..38 tractor...this is a tough one!

Postby dart451 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:08 pm

Got an old MTD tractor, 132-662F118 that I'm trying to get running again. Like many things I get, some parts are missing and you don't know the last time the tractor was operational. Anyway, I figured out through the wire diagram that I was missing a starter Solenoid so I ordered one that's supposed to be the same. I have one of the red leads from the battery to one side of the solenoid, the other red lead to the starter. I have the Orange wire connected to the only tab on the solenoid, all according to wire diagram. I get nothing going through solenoid! I get voltage on the red terminal from the battery but cannot get anything through solenoid. I removed starter switch plug and I am getting voltage to green wire but nothing else. I thought perhaps by jumping green terminal to orange terminal might get voltage to solenoid but nothing! I also have the solenoid properly grounded with ground wire... Anyone have a clue what I could check at this point?
dart451
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: MTD LT12..38 tractor...this is a tough one!

Postby hanz63 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:29 pm

Is this one that has the separate terminal on the battery side of the solenoid that heads to the ignition switch? Some are crimped along with the battery lug, some are not.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:11 pm

If you have 12 v on the green wire to ground you screwed up. The green wire is ground. Hopefully you haven't toasted the ignition coil.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:42 pm

I'm sorry...you are correct...the green wire is ground. I'm getting power to the Black wire...sorry for the error!
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:07 pm

So, if I'm getting power to the black wire on the ignition, can I assume I need to get power to the orange wire that's hooked to the solenoid? According to the wire diagram, orange comes off the ignition to the clutch and PTO switch...
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:17 pm

Now you on the scent of the trail. Go bloodhound. Sorry just in a funny mood, it has been a bad week of problems here. Any time I think things finish to button them up I find something else that need attention. 6PM is closer now and then I can wait Monday's problems.

Check to see you have 12v on the orange at the switch first with it held in the start position and then work your way to the solenoid.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:23 pm

dart451 wrote:So, if I'm getting power to the black wire on the ignition, can I assume I need to get power to the orange wire that's hooked to the solenoid? According to the wire diagram, orange comes off the ignition to the clutch and PTO switch...

Correct - Fused power from battery to switch, switch in Start position sends 12v through start circuit through brake/clutch switch and then to PTO switch which , if switches are in "Safe" position will pass 12v to the small wire terminal on the starter solenoid which then activates the contacts between the 2 big posts and supplies battery current to the starter.

However, as far as I can recall, never saw any black wire on an MTD that was supposed to get 12V power through it.. Black should be ground side.. so if you see 12V on ground side wire then there's a busted ground somewhere (green wire can also be a ground but in your diagram, green is the ground side of the headlamp circuit)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby dart451 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:33 pm

Yes, I get voltage to the orange side of switch when the key is turned. So, I need to unwind the tape off the wire loom to trace the wire...see where i'm losing power. Thank you! You are great help! By the way, before I checked for voltage, I jumped a wire from battery to orange wire terminal on solenoid and the engine turned over. So, I just need to trace where I'm losing power on the orange wire.
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:34 pm

bgsengine wrote:
dart451 wrote:So, if I'm getting power to the black wire on the ignition, can I assume I need to get power to the orange wire that's hooked to the solenoid? According to the wire diagram, orange comes off the ignition to the clutch and PTO switch...

Correct - Fused power from battery to switch, switch in Start position sends 12v through start circuit through brake/clutch switch and then to PTO switch which , if switches are in "Safe" position will pass 12v to the small wire terminal on the starter solenoid which then activates the contacts between the 2 big posts and supplies battery current to the starter.

However, as far as I can recall, never saw any black wire on an MTD that was supposed to get 12V power through it.. Black should be ground side.. so if you see 12V on ground side wire then there's a busted ground somewhere (green wire can also be a ground but in your diagram, green is the ground side of the headlamp circuit)

Green wire appears to be ground, there is a green wire that is grounded to the solenoid mounting bracket...
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:38 pm

Green wire *IS* Ground - as I noted - it is the ground side of the headlamp circuit. it grounds to the solenoid base. it is not a system ground for your starting circuit - if you had 12 volts at that green wire terminal that would be because you had 12v of power going through the headlights, and the wire was not yet grounded (And headlights wouldn't work)

But, green wire has nothing to do with your start circuit. As KE4 said , you need to verify 12V getting to key switch, and then the 12V coming out of key switch in start position , which should go to the brake/clutch switch - and if brake pedal is depressed, the switch should pass 12v through to the PTO Switch, which, if it is working correctly and in "off" position, should then pass 12V to the small terminal of the solenoid, and you should feel or hear the solenoid click . if it does then your start circuit should be wired up right , assuming you have battery cable from battery to solenoid, and cable from solenoid to starter, and assuming that ground cable is a clean, tight connection to frame ground, (and your engine and starter bolts are tight) , starter should crank.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum