• Advertisement

Echo SRM225

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Echo SRM225

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:10 pm

Images needs to resized to 600 x 600 max DPI, uploaded to an image hosting like Imgur or Photobucket, and image link post here using the Img button.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:24 pm

goulgetter88 wrote:[ What I meant was my eyes are not that great (I wear glasses and still have trouble seeing small things) and that I didn't have enough light to see in the port so go. I will try this and see what happenst
If you can see the piston ring and if you can tell the ring is slightly wet with gas/oil mix, a simple thing to test would be use a pencil or wood dowel sharpened to a point, and see if you can press the piston ring into the groove and it should spring right back out - if it won't move at all, it's a stuck ring, if shifts a little but doesn't spring back out, could be excessive carbon and gum/varnish from sitting too long.. and if you can press the ring way deep into the groove far enough that it's obviously deep, then ring is likely just worn thin.

Also - compression testing, I presume you do know that you need to crank engine over until the gauge needle stops moving - meaning it takes several pulls on the starter to build up enough compression.. right? (if not, then do so and re-test compression reading)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby goulgetter88 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:37 pm

[Also - compression testing, I presume you do know that you need to crank engine over until the gauge needle stops moving - meaning it takes several pulls on the starter to build up enough compression.. right? (if not, then do so and re-test compression reading)[/quote]

Yes I pulled the starter cord several times and did that till the needle stopped moving up. I am going to try what you have suggested tomorrow. Ill let you know how it turns out.
goulgetter88

Postby goulgetter88 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:24 pm

Ok so alittle update on the Echo. There was minimal carbon build up in the exhaust port. I did try to squirt a little gas in the through the exhaust port and tried to fire it up. It......did......nothing...... :cry: So proceeded to take a wooden skewer and pushed on the piston ring. It springs right out when pushing on it. So does that mean the engine is toast? Is there anything else to check test?
goulgetter88

Postby bgsengine » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:08 pm

Yeah , sounds like it's toast - for the price of a short block, with another 80 bucks or so on top you can buy a new one at Home Depot - the 225 is the smallest Echo and the "entry level" one - they are good (Ive sold dozens, some of them used by commercial mowers around here, many are still in regular use even after 8 years with minimal maintenance) But, if they are so far gone that they need a short block, may as well get a new one with the 5 year warranty (if you have a good Echo dealer in your area)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby goulgetter88 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:36 pm

bgsengine wrote:Yeah , sounds like it's toast - for the price of a short block, with another 80 bucks or so on top you can buy a new one at Home Depot - the 225 is the smallest Echo and the "entry level" one - they are good (Ive sold dozens, some of them used by commercial mowers around here, many are still in regular use even after 8 years with minimal maintenance) But, if they are so far gone that they need a short block, may as well get a new one with the 5 year warranty (if you have a good Echo dealer in your area)

Well that is a bummer. That Echo is still in really good shape body wise. Guess I could try and sell it for parts. I appreciate everyone's advise and the testing to try.
goulgetter88

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum