• Advertisement

Craftsman Tractor Ignition

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Craftsman Tractor Ignition

Postby lefty » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:40 pm

Awesome info. Thank you very much. It's in a million pieces in my garage right now. Once she starts to take shape, I'll check back in with the results.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:38 pm

On this same machine, I'm having a hell of a time finding a good schematic. I found one on sears parts but it's either not an available part or I'm not seeing it. It's on the deck. It's the thing that when you disengage the blade, it comes in and stops the belt on one of the pulleys. It has like a kind of a little break shoe at the end of it. I think it pivots on something and the other end is usually spring loaded so that when you engage the blade, it moves away from the pulley. This one is just flopping around like the spring is missing.

I think it's this thing I pointed at in this photo.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xp3dT2W8pfTEuBZt9
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:56 pm

Hi Lefty

Is this the part you're looking for, https://www.searspartsdirect.com/product/1lzxu2b6j8-0071-917/id-184907 ?

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:19 pm

Lefty you need a better pair reading glasses it is item 53 on the deck image as their is two identical ones on the deck.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:28 pm

Correction then. I'm missing 2 springs and one break arm altogether. Thank you.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:32 am

One might have been removed in the past due to roller bearing on the underside seizing. Looks like they got away from the replaceable ones with this mower deck.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:34 pm

The main reason I was going at the carb on this one is that the crankcase was full of gas. So I drained everything out and ran a bit of new oil through it while draining it. Should I flush this? Meaning, should I fill it will oil, run it for a bit and do another oil change to make sure all the gas is out of there? My logic says yes but wanted to verify. Or maybe it's overkill.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:03 pm

Nah , most of any remaining gas will evaporate anyway.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby lefty » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:27 pm

I appreciate it. Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:51 pm

I went with the nikki for the carb and it appears that the choke is acting a little weird. It engages but seems to hit like a notch where when you back off the throttle, it doesn't open. I can manually pop it open with my finger and then the spring finishes the job. I hooked the choke up to the hole on the choke lever that more or less aligned with the set up on the walbro but there is another hole on it I could try, the one that's closer to the pivot where it's mounted on the carb. Do we think that would improve things? The choke mechanism on the throttle assembly is the kind that just pushes to close and then spring action on the carb opens it.

Also, I have some surging. There is an idle adjustment screw on this. According to the info I found on the carb, it is limited but should I try to adjust that? I've fiddled with it a bit but no real results. It doesn't appear that it has a limited on it because it looks all metal. But there's no slot for a screwdriver or anything like that. It has kind of a bur along the edge. Looks like it's for grip to turn with your fingers.

Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum