• Advertisement

Another Briggs12 series puzzle

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Another Briggs12 series puzzle

Postby 38racing » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:29 pm

Well I know what problem. Likely a popped intake seat. Intake valve isn't closing.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:26 pm

It was popped intake seat. Trying the peen back in trick. I think I tried to do valve clearance with tappet not forced down. Has a new valve now. This mower is 9 years old. A bit of carbon to clean off. What does the black at top of cylinder tell me. It's smooth, not like any build up
http://web.ncf.ca/da229/smallengine/Vic-cylinder.jpg
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:27 pm

Looks like relatively normal carbonization for an L-Head - it eventually builds a ridge. Kohler K series were notorious for that carbon ridge cutting away at top of piston, exposing the compression ring,.. Also see signs of slight ridging in the cylinder bore, looks like it has probably had some dirt ingestion at some point in its life.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:23 am

Got it running and returned it to him. Told him watch oil use. Apparently my changing air filter that fall for no start was first time. Maybe one oil change, all in 10 years of ownership.
38racing
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum