• Advertisement

Wow! What the heck is this??

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Wow! What the heck is this??

Postby dart451 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:00 pm

Working on a Craftsman tractor, 917-275034...had been sitting for a long time. Had bad gas in the lines, tank. Removed tank, emptied and let dry for about a week. Replaced all the fuel lines, fuel filter, got it started and then poof, it finally dies and I can't get it started again. Removed fuel line from fuel pump, smells of nasty varnish gas again and it's bright orange! Fuel pump working good. So, the only thing I can think of is...I didn't actually rinse out the tank! I was emptied and dried but not rinsed! Is it possible the bad gas dried residue, (that I couldn't see) became liquid again with the new gas I put in it? Now, the fuel filter looks like clear gas and it runs fine. But, I've been doing this for a couple days...it starts up in the morning, runs a bit (perhaps running on the good gas in the bowl?) then dies, gas is orange again! Now, I'm hoping I've cleared all that crap out of the tank by now, I added more new gas. I am going to let it sit for awhile and see if it does the same thing tomorrow. Anyone have issues such as this??
dart451
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Wow! What the heck is this??

Postby bobodu » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:50 am

Old Sta-Bil overdose....know as "The Red Goo"....sometimes looks orangish too.
Not gonna look up the numbers but it could also be rust...
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby dart451 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:08 am

All plastic tank so I'm sure it's not rust. And the smell is unmistakable...smelled like bad gas. I use Stab-il in all my machines during the winter...I've only had one guy that put way to much in his log splitter and it wouldn't run anymore...
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:22 am

All plastic tank so I'm sure it's not rust. And the smell is unmistakable...smelled like bad gas. I use Stab-il in all my machines during the winter...I've only had one guy that put way to much in his log splitter and it wouldn't run anymore...
dart451
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum