• Advertisement

Toro Z420

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Toro Z420

Postby lefty » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 pm

Also, I just noticed that one of these blue holes was blocked by this same gooey glue-like material. Is this by design or should these two holes be clear? Circled in blue in the photo linked below.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Q93rt8e7SgtRYFJo7
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:25 pm

Honestly I don't remember but I take look Saturday while I am tearing down a 310000 series for possible camshaft replacement. I know the exhaust lobe is shot but I need to know what else might be wrong with that engine.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:13 pm

I'd appreciate it. I went to a local dealer near my house today and the guy there, who is very helpful and friendly, told me to clean the brass seat out really good before installing the needle. But I only see a plastic hole in mine.

Regarding the gunk in the tube. If it was some type of something designed to plug up the hole, I'll have to replace it because I cleaned it out thinking it wasn't supposed to be there. Not a big deal if it is, I'm sure I can stuff it up again with something I have around the shop that can withstand fuel.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:55 pm

After closer inspection, I see that it doesn't seem to matter whether or not that tube is blocked or not. There is no corresponding hole on the carb and the gasket seals it off from the area. So it appears that whether or not fuel goes up that tube, it has nowhere to go once it gets there. Regarding the seat, I found a video showing that it is common for no seat to exist in this assembly. Just the plastic hole. So since I didn't find any floating around, I'm assuming it wasn't there.

The good news is, I installed a new gasket, oring on the fuel inlet area and new needle and everything is running great. So I get to keep my OEM carb and all is well. Did I say I love this machine?

I put a new belt on it and did my annual service, oil, filters, cleaned and treated the deck, put an edge on the blades and I'm ready to go. As always, thanks to all. I just hope this belt is better than the last one I tried to replace with. I'm currently running the original belt. I once tried to replace it with one I bought from another local dealer. It lasted one season and broke. So I put the original back on and have been running it ever since.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:24 pm

Sorry I didn't get to you sooner but I got side tracked with a JD Z925 repair but it sounds like you got it figure out already.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:35 pm

No worries. Thank you. I actually was given a machine with the same engine and carb today. I'm going to use it as just a tractor to play around with so I'm going to take the other road on this one. Going to get a cheap after-market carb, as well as a cheap kit for the carb that's on it. It's going to be my own little beater so I'll let you know how it goes. Something to pull my little trailer around with.

I think I posted for some help with it in the past. Going to get rid of the deck and bagger and just use it as a tractor. It's one of those that engages the blade when you lower the deck. Scares me a bit. Besides, I have the Z-turn for mowing. Thanks again.
lefty
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum