• Advertisement

MTD Tractor

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: MTD Tractor

Postby lefty » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:20 pm

Can I get some help on setting the RPM on this. Right now, it's running at about 2700. I think that's too low. I think it should be 3300 or 3600 but I can't figure this chart out.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XWNLKFfjAE9FPNEv8

It looks like there are two ways I can attack this: Bending the tang on the governor spring OR adjusting the position of the throttle cable where it is anchored to the throttle bracket. The position of the cable doesn't look right to me. If I move it back a little, which will give me more tension on the spring at full throttle, I can increase engine speed without loosing on the bottom. Because it appears that the spring is fully relaxed at about almost 1/2 throttle. And it also looks like there is plenty more room on the top range that's being left on the table. I'd like to try that first unless it's advised against.

Thank you.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:40 pm

if I recall, you have a separate throttle and choke, so you would adjust throttle cable to move the slide on control assembly as far as it will go to top no load. If it still isn't fast enough, then bend the spring tang to bring RPM up to spec, and yes I would tend to shoot for 3400-3600 RPM top no load.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby lefty » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:08 pm

Excellent. Thank you.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 pm

Just like you said, it took a combination of both. I maxed out the cable and then bent the tang slightly. Got her at about 3450-3500 and I'm happy with that. Thanks again.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:59 pm

lefty wrote:Something I learned from you guys, whenever a machine comes in, I take off as much as I can and anti-seize it to make my life easier the next time...I put it on everything...I've even started putting it on hotdogs.

I do that for mine but may have missed or its just sat too long. Three days of heat, penetrating oil and puller on bolts through holes drill in rim. Moved a 1/4 inch so hoping day 4 brings it off.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:15 pm

38racing wrote:
lefty wrote:Something I learned from you guys, whenever a machine comes in, I take off as much as I can and anti-seize it to make my life easier the next time...I put it on everything...I've even started putting it on hotdogs.

I do that for mine but may have missed or its just sat too long. Three days of heat, penetrating oil and puller on bolts through holes drill in rim. Moved a 1/4 inch so hoping day 4 brings it off.

Well 4th day came and went. It moved some more but froze with about 1/8 inch of shaft outside hub. Figured that I just hadn't ground off enough of any end burr from hammer pounds. I ground axle at hub but no amount of heat or pulling would budge it. I decided to use dremel cutting wheel and cut outer 3/16 inch of hub off so I could grind more off the end of axle. I was able to get that done and used dremel grinding cylinder to make sure I did enough. Put puller back on it and it finally came off. Not pretty but it didn't beat me.
38racing
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum