• Advertisement

Old Murray 1984 model

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Old Murray 1984 model

Postby bgsengine » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:31 pm

goulgetter88 wrote:Model # for the mower..3-39004 MFG date 0493 yes I know that this makes it a 93 I believe. The engine code stamp: model #4227070133 type 01 code 82121012
I doubt you are reading the MFG date right - I think it's the 49th day of 1983 - your engine date code puts it at 12/10/1982 -- So to format it a little better: Briggs model 422707 Type 0133-01 date code 82121012 (and for those looking for parts list that matches type number, change the -01 to a -99 because those old trim codes no longer show in online parts catalogs.. in other words you'd look for a type 0133-99)

I hope these numbers will clear up somethings for those looking at parts diagrams. Ive tried looking before and could not find what I was looking for.

When moving the throttle cable the linkage doesnt move at all. It just sits there. I will try to submitted a photo or video.

As Skywatcher said - throttle linkage may not necessarily move when engine not running as governor spring tension may hold throttle at wide open anyway. So you want to look at the governor spring and see if it stretches as the throttle lever on tractor is moved from slow to fast. So best bet if you can't trace the movement of throttle cables, springs, linkages, is find the governor spring and observe it while moving throttle lever in dash and see if it extends and retracts as you move throttle.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Skywatcher » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:49 pm

Hi Again

OK, we're looking at a 42 cubic inch horizontally opposed twin cylinder vertical crankshaft engine — this puts a whole different spin on things. The governor linkages on these engines can be tricky little beggars at the best of times. If someone has already been in there monkeying with things before you got there, you're probably going to end up with a few headaches. Go to Jack's Small Engine website and enter the engine model number formatted like this — 422707-0133-01 and hit search. Next, click on the left most diagram (Air Cleaner Group, Manifold Parts Diagram). This will give you some sort of idea of what the set-up looks like.

There are 2 metal links and a bell-crank between the governor arm and the throttle shaft. You may need to remove the air cleaner housing and the exhaust manifold heat shield in order to be able to see the governor arm, governor spring and governor control quadrant which the throttle control cable connects to. Quadrant is item # 223 on diagram. When the throttle control is moved forward, the quadrant puts tension on governor spring # 209 which pulls up on governor arm # 227. The governor arm is linked to throttle shaft via link # 201, bell-crank # 203 and link # 202. As the engine speeds up, the internal governor rotates the governor shaft moving the governor arm against the governor spring tension and closing the throttle shaft to attain governed RPM.

In simple terms, the job of the governor spring is to speed the engine up and the job of the internal governor is to slow the engine down. When internal governor force equals external governor spring force, stable equilibrium is reached giving governed RPM. Hope this makes sense so far. If any part of the governor system is broken, missing or out of adjustment, proper engine control is unobtainable. Internal governor and governor shaft are part # 219A and #230 in the right most parts picture. Hope I haven't gone off on too much of a tangent here,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby Arkie » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:31 am

Move the governor arm back and forth manually with the engine not running and you should see the throttle plate on the carb move.

If the carb's throttle moves manually when the governor arm is moved back and forth WITH THE ENGINE NOT RUNNING, search how to do a static governor adjust.

If you cannot get the CARB"S throttle to move by moving the governor arm back and forth manually WITH THE ENGINE NOT RUNNING you most likely have some parts missing, like springs or linkages around the governor control area.

When you get it throttling from the throttle cable, download a Service manual for your engine from this site and you can fine tune the max throttle RPM by adjusting the large phillips head screw on the throttle plate. If this RPM screw is out of adjustment the engine won't reach full rpms or may overspeed as the on dash throttle cable is moved to fast.

As skywatcher says the on dash throttle cable does not connect directly to the Carb's throttle, it's spring loaded through the governor's control arm spring loaded mechanical linkages.

These governor control throttle linkages are little harder to figure out when you don't have another one that is operating correctly to compare yours to visually especially when someone else has taken them apart and lost parts and pieces or put it back together wrong and you then ended up with the rig. (speaking from experience here). ;)
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:10 am

Any thought given that the cables could be reversed?
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:20 am

Going out right now. Maybe I can get a picture later today of my 88 opposed twin setup
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby goulgetter88 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:10 am

38racing wrote:Going out right now. Maybe I can get a picture later today of my 88 opposed twin setup

That would be awesome. I have been searching for a picture of the correct set up or any set up really for a few years now.
goulgetter88

Postby 38racing » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:55 pm

http://web.ncf.ca/da229/smallengine/IMG ... 174022.jpg
http://web.ncf.ca/da229/smallengine/IMG ... 174046.jpg
http://web.ncf.ca/da229/smallengine/IMG ... 174110.jpg
Ok. First pic is farthest left. You can see rod's right end hooks to throttle lever of carb. 2nd pic is to right of 1st. 3rd pic is to right of 2nd pic. That's where cable from the throttle control is attached to intake manifold. With throttle control on dash held at high position you would lock the cable sheath in 3rd pic as far to right to increase rpm.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby goulgetter88 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:21 pm

38racing wrote:http://web.ncf.ca/da229/smallengine/IMG_28042020_174022.jpg
http://web.ncf.ca/da229/smallengine/IMG ... 174046.jpg
http://web.ncf.ca/da229/smallengine/IMG ... 174110.jpg
Ok. First pic is farthest left. You can see rod's right end hooks to throttle lever of carb. 2nd pic is to right of 1st. 3rd pic is to right of 2nd pic. That's where cable from the throttle control is attached to intake manifold. With throttle control on dash held at high position you would lock the cable sheath in 3rd pic as far to right to increase rpm.

Yeah my linkage doesnt look anything like that. Ill try to post a picture after I figure out how to.
goulgetter88

Postby goulgetter88 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:02 pm

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsbT9zi_ME4wnCU39fKBDrbLr1At[/img]
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsbT9zi_ME4wnCE2s8KXbU7Nh6fc[/img]

I am trying this one image because I finally got it to work. This is the linkage I have. Please if you think it looks wrong or I have hooked up something wrong please tell me. Im so frustrated with the way you have to post pictures here. This is the best picture I have and hopefully it shows enough.
goulgetter88

Postby bgsengine » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:21 pm

OK hard to tell but, can you get one more pic - just the same way but from opposite direction of pic named Linkage2 - Need to get a view of how the cable hooks to that bit of lever just barely visible towards the top of pics but almost looks like your throttle cable from the tractor is hooked to a lever that does.... nothing... might be the throttle cable is hooked in the wrong place.... or a missing linkage in there somewhere, but need pics from the opposite angle..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum