• Advertisement

Craftsman Chainsaw

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Craftsman Chainsaw

Postby lefty » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:14 pm

Model: 358.350260
Serial: 99257D202257

I got this saw in not running after sitting for a few years. Fuel was bad and lines were junk. The metering diaphragm was very stiff but the carb looks good. I replaced the lines, metering diaphragm, and put her back together. It starts on basically the first or 2nd pull but there's a couple of issues puzzling me.

1. The fuel cap leaks through a little pinhole in the center. Assuming that's a vent but am wondering why fuel is pissing out of it.
2. Not the first time I started it, but like the 3rd time, it screams initially until I kick off the choke. Then it runs pretty well. Never encountered that.

Needs a couple of adjustments, for instance, idle, mixture maybe, although it runs better than most on the first try. The screaming while choked concerns me. By screaming I mean it sounds like it's pinned at full throttle until I kick off the choke.

Thanks
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Craftsman Chainsaw

Postby bgsengine » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:57 pm

1) yes it is the vent it leaks because the check valve in cap is rotted away - you need a new cap.
2) Scream (High Revs) until you kick off choke, seems to me like you'd need an adjustment , that or the choke is also throttle lock (locks throttle partly open for starting, and will remain revved up until you squeeze throttle and let go.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby lefty » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:15 pm

Sounds easy enough. Thank you.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:12 am

As BGS says the duck bill valve in the fuel cap is bad.

As for the carburetor it is a Walbro WT-391 with the choke latch up for starting. Actually you can pull the choke and push it back in and the engine would still rev high until you pull the throttle lever to unlatch the start-up setting.

Basically all you got is a Poulan (Husqvarna) chainsaw.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:34 am

Thanks. I knew that there was a latch to disengage the choke when the throttle was depressed but I didn't realize that it holds open the throttle in the meantime. That's actually a very cool feature. I have echo stuff myself and have to contort my body into all sorts of positions to start while holding the throttle open.
lefty
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum