• Advertisement

Old Murray 1984 model

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Old Murray 1984 model

Postby goulgetter88 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:22 pm

bgsengine wrote:OK hard to tell but, can you get one more pic - just the same way but from opposite direction of pic named Linkage2 - Need to get a view of how the cable hooks to that bit of lever just barely visible towards the top of pics but almost looks like your throttle cable from the tractor is hooked to a lever that does.... nothing... might be the throttle cable is hooked in the wrong place.... or a missing linkage in there somewhere, but need pics from the opposite angle..

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsbT9zi_ME4wnClWnjH_ulw10tVV
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsbT9zi_ME4wnCoGpD4KudPGKVcG
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsbT9zi_ME4wnCuUMWPFwBMda-Qp
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsbT9zi_ME4wnCzTZwdJyZ9n7jMT

Ok so the first two pictures are of what it says is supposed to be. Also these are the two best pictures I could get of an opposite direction on a previous picture. If it is connected to nothing that wouldn't surprise me. I tried to put it all back together by memory. Also I feel like I am missing something on mine or I just have it hooked up/mounted incorrectly. Let me know guys cause I feel like I am finally getting somewhere with this.....
goulgetter88

Postby bgsengine » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:08 am

OK.. where's your clamp for the throttle cable? The outer conduit of your cable should be clamped to something so it cannot move - only the inner wire (that hooks to mechanism in last photo) should move.

Looking in from the side of the last photo, you should be able to see virtually every action when you move lever on the tractor dash - inner cable of conduit should retract and pull the control lever towards you, that lever has a link to the rotating "flag" assembly as shown in the first 2 pics of the new part.. That tang has a slot where governor spring hooks in (which you can see in last photo) - that slot should pull on one end of governor spring to stretch it tighter , which pulls on the governor arm... the governor arm has a link to the bellcrank near carburetor, which then links to the throttle lever of carburetor.

So.. is that outer conduit (that goes to the tractor throttle lever) fastened down securely? It should be clamped somewhere and it should not move.. It can be adjusted so that the inner wire pulls governor flag out to maximum top no load RPM, and when set to idle, it allows engine to slow to dead idle. If that outer conduit is not fastened, throttle won't work right.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:13 pm

I'm thinking the cable sheath is sitting on top of the locking screw hole. There's a small rise bump that the washer covers. Bump hold cable from shipping out from washer. That's where my 88 locks. I should have checked the newer one of my friend but an 83 is more likely to be like my 88.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby goulgetter88 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:00 pm

bgsengine wrote:OK.. where's your clamp for the throttle cable? The outer conduit of your cable should be clamped to something so it cannot move - only the inner wire (that hooks to mechanism in last photo) should move.

Looking in from the side of the last photo, you should be able to see virtually every action when you move lever on the tractor dash - inner cable of conduit should retract and pull the control lever towards you, that lever has a link to the rotating "flag" assembly as shown in the first 2 pics of the new part.. That tang has a slot where governor spring hooks in (which you can see in last photo) - that slot should pull on one end of governor spring to stretch it tighter , which pulls on the governor arm... the governor arm has a link to the bellcrank near carburetor, which then links to the throttle lever of carburetor.

So.. is that outer conduit (that goes to the tractor throttle lever) fastened down securely? It should be clamped somewhere and it should not move.. It can be adjusted so that the inner wire pulls governor flag out to maximum top no load RPM, and when set to idle, it allows engine to slow to dead idle. If that outer conduit is not fastened, throttle won't work right.

You know you make a good point. The cable is not held down. I must have forgotten to out the screw back.......I am an idiot :evil:
goulgetter88

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum