• Advertisement

gcv160 oil capacity

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

gcv160 oil capacity

Postby 38racing » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:54 pm

I guess all gcv160 are created alike.
This link says oil capacity is .55litres
https://engines.honda.com/models/model- ... ifications

I have a downloaded operator's manual that lists 'refill' amount as .35 to .41 litre. Does that much oil stay in engine? The latter is consistent with what I just removed from one.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: gcv160 oil capacity

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:48 am

Yes refill do vary from dry fill amount on most engines. I have even some engine list refill amounts and forget about the extra oil an installed oil filter needs. With that I take the oil capacity with a grain of salt as it is just a general guidance. I usually fill near capacity listed and check. Once on initial refill and at least couple times after few minutes ran in. Sometimes they are fine and other time I need to add/remove oil. It also important to how they are checking the oil level. Some engines the oil dipstick is screwed all the way in and others it just sitting on the threads. I usually check the owners manuals when in doubt.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Re: gcv160 oil capacity

Postby 38racing » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:56 pm

I had used a hand pump to remove and even had it tipped a bit. When I only got 300 I was concerned and tipped for another 50 maybe. Dipstick had shown it on full to start.
38racing
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum