• Advertisement

sticky briggs starter gear

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

sticky briggs starter gear

Postby 38racing » Fri May 01, 2020 4:26 pm

I'm replacing a starter. Call it no. 1 with another, call it no. 2. No.1 had a plastic gear but no. 2 had a steel gear. My computer said that I had an oem plastic gear. It was in the bin but not packaged. it is marked 'this side up' but didn't see a briggs symbol on it. So I removed the steel gear from no. 2 and put on the new plastic one. The gear sticks. I cleaned the plastic shaft , still sticks. So much that it won't move when bench tested. So I removed the plastic gear from no. 1 and put it on no. 2. Works fine. Then I tried the sticky new gear on starter no. 1 and it works fine. Go figure.
38racing
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: sticky briggs starter gear

Postby KE4AVB » Fri May 01, 2020 4:37 pm

You do know that the steel gear is used only on flywheels with steel ring gears and the plastic is used on plastic and aluminum ring gears? You didn't mention which flywheel ring gears you have on the two engines.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Re: sticky briggs starter gear

Postby 38racing » Fri May 01, 2020 7:19 pm

KE4AVB wrote:You do know that the steel gear is used only on flywheels with steel ring gears and the plastic is used on plastic and aluminum ring gears? You didn't mention which flywheel ring gears you have on the two engines.

Actually that's why I had to replace the steel one with plastic on the starter I wanted to use.
38racing
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum