• Advertisement

Think I diagnosed wrong!

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Think I diagnosed wrong!

Postby dart451 » Fri May 08, 2020 10:07 am

bobodu wrote:I always suspect valve lash before replacing a starter...Something I learnt from Walt 15 years ago...
( I got to use "learnt" !!!)

Well, I will from now on (I hope!) The brain doesn't seem to remember as well as it once did! I picked up the tractor and brought it back to my shop...took the valve cover off and I do know just by looking at it that the exhaust valve is WAY TOO LOOSE! I'm gonna let it cool down so I can check the valves correctly. I also read my manual and know I have to go beyond TDC to bypass the ACR...
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby NO0C » Fri May 08, 2020 10:49 am

Forget the TDC BS and set the valves the easy way:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3439

Well, I will from now on (I hope!) The brain doesn't seem to remember as well as it once did! I picked up the tractor and brought it back to my shop...took the valve cover off and I do know just by looking at it that the exhaust valve is WAY TOO LOOSE! I'm gonna let it cool down so I can check the valves correctly. I also read my manual and know I have to go beyond TDC to bypass the ACR...
NO0C
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Fri May 08, 2020 12:35 pm

Valves were way out of adjustment! Both about .020. Tractor starts fine now. Thanks to all that steered me in the right direction!
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Fri May 08, 2020 1:33 pm

What's the reason that flat head valves tend to loose clearance and ohv get looser
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Fri May 08, 2020 1:48 pm

38racing wrote:What's the reason that flat head valves tend to loose clearance and ohv get looser
flat head engines - only one direction for them to wear, really.. on the valve faces.. OHV engines, rocker arms and pivots will wear out faster than the hardened valve faces will.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Fri May 08, 2020 1:52 pm

Also for some engines camshaft lobes wear more on the OHVs too. I just replaced a 793380 where the exhaust valve lobe was worn nearly round yet the exhaust valve was moving freely. I have several used OHV cams to have wear on the lobes when replacing them due ACR failures.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum