• Advertisement

Primer bulb isn't working...

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Primer bulb isn't working...

Postby dart451 » Sun May 10, 2020 6:24 pm

Working on another Craftsman lawnmower 917-388660 briggs. 123K02-0258-E1. The guy bought it used from someone else, the primer bulb was leaking. I took carb apart, fuel of bad fuel and water, not salvageable, replaced carb. Cannot seem to get the primer bulb to work. Took off primer base, blew a little air through the primer hole on the carb, it squirted fuel. Using new carb gaskets, even tried brand new primer base and it wouldn't prime either! On the original primer base, took out primer and cleaned it really good, made sure the hole was clear, replaced with new primer bulb...still nothing! I know this has been talked about a bunch...seems like they work or they don't!
dart451
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Primer bulb isn't working...

Postby KE4AVB » Sun May 10, 2020 6:57 pm

Well I try one more time to explain how I fix these warp covers. Many people try two complete gaskets to no avail or just tighten the heck out of the cover screws cutting the new gasket. The problem is that these primer bases warp from either overtightening, heat, or both.

Take the gasket back off and look at the impression left by the cover. Now taking a second and using a razor or exacto knife shave the second gasketinto a wedge shape that applies extra pressure in the area where there is no contact. I use some wood glue to stick the second gasket to the back to the first gasket. Now install the new assembled gasket with the complete gasket next to the primer base. With this install tighten the screws up evenly until while pressing the primer you the primer to work. Don't worry about gas destroying the wood glue as the two will stick to each other under the pressure and become one.

Basically what you are creating is a wedge shape gasket. It works for me as I just did one again last week. Yes using two gaskets seems to be a waste; unless, you like me buy the aftermarket gaskets dirt cheap instead of the Briggs ones. BTW I just charge the customer for the two gaskets.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Sun May 10, 2020 7:28 pm

How is it you shave a wedge? Do you primarily cut the second gasket down so it is only high where the primer hole is?
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun May 10, 2020 7:44 pm

The area you have circled will probably have a heavy impression if not already cut through.

The Area of the X's is where I finding non contact. THe two ramp images indicates the tapering of the second gasket making the wedge. You start with the two edges less tapered but this is the general idea. And you will see why glue is need to start with as only one pin is holding the second gasket.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Sun May 10, 2020 7:58 pm

Ok, thank you for the diagram...I will look at my gasket, see if I can get this accomplished...I have also copied/pasted your text and have a print of it for my reference. Thank you for devoting your time...
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Sun May 10, 2020 9:38 pm

I may have saved a video where the guy puts a piece of tape on the base.
Here it is
https://youtu.be/kKEEEvmuPsY
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Sun May 10, 2020 10:16 pm

Now that looks like a simple fix! Cool!
dart451
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum