• Advertisement

Installing chrome rings in an old Briggs "Kool Bore" L-Head

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Installing chrome rings in an old Briggs "Kool Bore" L-Head

Postby creia » Sat May 16, 2020 10:37 pm

This one is for you old timers that did this back in the day....
I install these in some of our old engines to get some more use out of them if the cylinder walls are not too far out of spec, and find that they work pretty good. In the Briggs 3 HP chrome ring sets (Briggs part # 297201) there are 8 rings total. ( 1 oil control, 2 compression, 2 wavy/expanders, and 3 thin scrapers. I have installed these in a few engines and it is always a battle for me :( , here is why:
I always find it VERY difficult to get the rings compressed enough (yes, I'm using the Briggs ring compressor tool) to be able to insert it into the bore. It is REALLY tough to tighten the ring compressor! Some of the rings do not seem to be compressing. I have to keep fiddling/adjusting/reinstalling the rings and trying over and over and I have always eventually got them in.... until today. :?
I walked away after 1 1/2 hours. :oops: Does anyone have any pointers or otherwise words of wisdom that could help a guy out?
Thanks for any help.
Michael :)
creia
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Installing chrome rings in an old Briggs "Kool Bore" L-H

Postby bgsengine » Sun May 17, 2020 7:45 am

I hated those cheap ring compressors from Briggs and etc - they are a small cheap design.. then I went and found an automotive ring compressor from K-D Tools it had two band straps and a wider (and thicker and heavier) steel coil for ring compression.. - the two bands make a huge difference in the compressor applying even pressure on all the rings as compared to the single band lawnmower tool.. i ASSUME you use liberal amounts of engine oil over piston and inside compressor while tightening the strap down to compress rings.. ? One trick I recall from before I got that K-D compressor, I would start the compressor just tight , and then get a large (4 inch) radiator hose clamp and tighten that down too a little bit below the compressor's strap to help compress the oil rings (they are usually what makes the thin steel sheet flex into a "cone" or distort so the compressor doesnt get rings tight) ... and once in a pinch when I was away from my tools, I was able to put a piston in with a lot of work (and tons of patience) and a couple screwdrivers! BTW the "good" compressor I refer to looks like this: https://www.tooldiscounter.com/product/ ... h-lis19500 although that one is Lisle, my KD compressor looks similar to that..

Hmm. a little more work on Google, and I come up with this one from NAPA that looks like a dead ringer for mine: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7761 ... FoQAvD_BwE

Either case, I think another feature they have that makes a difference is that ratchet "clutch" that creates positive tension (as opposed to the cheap compressors that depend on friction alone)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sun May 17, 2020 8:05 am

Now that explains why I haven't any problems with my compressor other than compressor on a couple engine tried to slip into the cylinders. I inherited the compressor I have from my baby brother and that compressor well over 30 yrs old. I do more small 2 cycles than I do mower engines.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Sun May 17, 2020 8:40 pm

Update:
I (finally) got the chrome rings installed with the ring compressor I have, HOWEVER....
I had to pull in the "Big Gun" (my son Jeff) to help me do it. He is a (recently retired) Briggs MST and serves as my technical advisor and support when I need it. Years back when he was a lot younger,we used to work on these engines a lot together, however, his work schedule (not to mention his girl friend) occupy most of his time these days. He was able to play around with the positioning/placement of the piston in the compressor to get the constricting band to be the most effective. Brian- I did order the one from the Napa link you provided - A BIG thank you for that! :D I am hoping that they will now go smoother in the future.
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum