• Advertisement

Toro Personal Pace

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Toro Personal Pace

Postby lefty » Mon May 18, 2020 3:48 pm

Model:20332
Serial 312025037

This just came to me with a drive problem. It doesn't drive at all. I can't hear anything unusual during the engagement. I inspected the workings and made some observations that I'd like to report and see if I can get some help.

The belt is intact and appears to be under good tension when engaged. But it won't spin the pulley on the little transmission. I engage the drive and turn the engine by hand with the blade and the belt just slips. I have the weight off of the wheels and cannot turn the pulley on the transmission by hand. The belt is on both pulleys. The pulley on the trans appears to be frozen. Not sure exactly how it works but there are two separate shafts, one to each wheel. When I turn them together or separately, the pulley on the trans does not move. I would expect that to move.

If it is a transmission issue, is it serviceable at all? There are several Torx type fasteners that I could remove and drop the bottom cover to inspect. I imagine it's using grease as a lubricant and not oil. Any advice on where to start?

Thank you.
lefty
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Toro Personal Pace

Postby bgsengine » Mon May 18, 2020 3:54 pm

sounds like either a seized input bearing, or the worm gear and helical gear have bound up.. or possibly both. Transmission may be serviceable but the whole assembly is just $75 and change - given the amount of labor time to R&R and then tear down and service, it'd be cheaper to your customer to just swap in a new transmission assembly. Parts diagrams: https://www.partstree.com/models/20332- ... 99999-2012
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby lefty » Mon May 18, 2020 4:09 pm

Thank you. That makes sense given how inexpensive the part is. Am I understanding the mechanics correctly? Should turning the wheels cause the pulley on the trans to spin? And should I be able to spin the pulley on the trans by hand with weight off of the wheels?
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Mon May 18, 2020 4:26 pm

Yes, it should turn freely.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Wed May 20, 2020 1:13 pm

Once I pulled this apart it was apparent that the belt was the problem. Once sections had worn down so much there was a chunk missing and although everything looked in place, once I removed the little belt cover guide on the trans, I could see the belt was jamming it up. So I put a new belt on and everything is fine. Thank you.
lefty
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum