• Advertisement

Site issues when first selecting Tech disc??

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Site issues when first selecting Tech disc??

Postby Arkie » Fri May 29, 2020 8:57 pm

Code: Select all
[color=#0000FF]Anyone else notice this one???[/color]

When I first come to the site and select Technical Discussion Forum my computer takes me to a completely unrelated site. I'm not sure but it seems to be a different site each time. I'll start watching for some of the site address'es in the future.
I close it out and try again and all ok the second attempt.

Been doing this for about 4 days or so??????????????????

Is this some type of Hacking or
I have a really good anti virus program.

Does this from both google and Outlook using windows 10??
Arkie
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Site issues when first selecting Tech disc??

Postby bgsengine » Fri May 29, 2020 9:48 pm

Sounds like browser hijacking. It isn't uncommon to happen, may want to check your browsers for add-ons, recent updates, themes, etc that you may not have been aware of (or in some cases, they work fine for ages and suddenly cause problems, when a malware company buys the add-on and modifies it, then pushes an update) They easily bypass anti-virus because these are add-ons that you likely installed or activated yourself (even if you don't think you did, might have clicked something at some point in the distant past and installed it)

One nasty example I recall, was to do with AdBlock Plus - some enterprising malware company created an addon named AdblockPlus with a similar logo and gamed the ratings systems to get their addon to show up before the REAL (and safe) software - if you were unaware of it (and/or not paying close attention) when getting the addon on a new browser install, you ended up installing a browser hijacker that installed additional malware - I got bit by that myself some years back and had no end of trouble with it (despite having the best antivirus on the market with updated definitions, anti-virus does not necessarily prevent you from installing add-ons yourself... because the add-ons are NOT viruses.) I ended up having to completely reset and roll back the PC to factory fresh restore point in order to get rid of it finally, and then a fresh install of firefox and then some very careful reading of the add-ons when I went to re-install them..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby 38racing » Fri May 29, 2020 10:30 pm

I get that too. I assumed the site was doing ads. Wonder if it's related to me having to login so much.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat May 30, 2020 6:40 am

Personally I haven't had any problems; but of course, I run Noscript and Adblocker Plus here on FF 76.01 64 bit.

Noscript is showing only 4 scripts trying to run 2 are Google, 1 Facebook, and the PPETEN script. Personally I am blocking the Facebook and Goggle syndication scripts.

And Adblocker Plus is only block 2 ads as I typing this.

It does sounds like Arkie has hijack script or cookie running on his system. Suggest clearing cookies. Also he should try running a program called SuperAntiSpyWare. It is a free program that scans things like this and hidden spyware programs.

Just a suggestion as it something I do here every few days. I am surprised at the number things that pushed on to my hard drive while I am browsing. Especially tracking cookies.

That reminds me I off to do a scan.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat May 30, 2020 6:55 am

KE4AVB wrote:
Noscript is showing only 4 scripts trying to run 2 are Google, 1 Facebook, and the PPETEN script.
Right - thanks for the reminder.. at some point along the way, I have got to get into the site code and get rid of that facebook JS anyway... (It was originally put in to enable the "like" post feature)

Interestingly enough, I used to run NoScript.. but I must have forgotten to install it at some point, can't remember the last time I even noticed it.. but have never really had any scripting issues..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sat May 30, 2020 7:16 am

BGS, No problem. I just don't like running anything that is not necessary. Besides I am not a member of Facebook or Twitter; maybe I just a little bit antisocial. ;)

Besides this is the office computer so I don't to get hijack again either. I got hijack by an antivirus program out of Germany several years ago. They changed their software and it crashed my system. Went through their tech phone support line and they even screw up my computer more and they thought they locked me out of it and demand $300 to undo what they did. I told to screw themselves and that I would repair my system myself. They hatefully good luck with the attempt. A good thing I did a full backup before the update. Wiped the HD and restored my backup. I have never tried to re install Avast antivirus. I just use Microsoft Security Essentials now.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:05 am

On this idea of browser hijacking I'm wondering why ppeten is the only site that I'm having issues with.
38racing
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum