• Advertisement

Need some input here....

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Need some input here....

Postby bobodu » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:10 pm

Bosses daughter showed me their new/ used ZTR....ticked off because it leaks oil.
Kohler Courage 19 VERTICAL......with a nice JB weld/epoxy patch...
1. Why would this need a patch in the first place??? Somebody prying a flywheel off?
2.] Is this a super critical area? If they can live with some drips...so be it...
(Having a time linking the pic....)
https://imgur.com/a/vjrOZ1G
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Advertisement

Re: Need some input here....

Postby bgsengine » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:52 pm

Half of the courage engines I see that have had any high vibration/extended run time (heating up) end up like that. I have one right now on a husqvarna I'm looking for a good used engine to put on it - tractor too nice to junk it for sake of an engine but new engine or short block cost more than it's worth. I had one once several years back that I short blocked, the cylinder cracked so badly that the jug was about to separate from crankcase (just needed another 4 inches of cracking to finish it off and it'd have just been hanging loose by the upper closure plate bolts)

first thing I look for when I see a Kohler Courage single... it is that common.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby Gerry » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:54 pm

I think maybe it just something in the design of the engine. I have had two come in the last year with almost identical cracks. Bolts in front and under the flywheel were back out also. Both owners said as far as they knew flywheels never been removed. Been wondering if its not common found this on youtube fast forward to about the 2:09 minure mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIIRAxYkrc8
Gerry
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:01 pm

That is the older non re enforced Courage single. Kohler had to redesign these engines by adding re-enforcing ribs.

As said it is the movement of the piston in cylinder along with loose closure plate screws that allows things to flex back and forth until it breaks.

The only real fix once broke is engine replacement or TIG welding the crack and adding re-reinforcements.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:34 am

Talked to the guy and he happens to have a TIG!!
Thanks for the info guys...
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:05 am

Just because he has TIG doesn't mean he knows how to weld aluminum. Even with a TIG it can be rather difficult due to oxidation layer according to what I have read.

I have been considering buying one myself to learn how to weld aluminum. I do know that oxidation layer requires a lot more heat to break through and then under laying aluminum melts at a much lower temperature. It is why I wasn't able to get those aluminum solder rods the work without a lot melt out of the base materials.

I personally I would recommend someone that does this type welding professionally if you what it done correctly. I know a lot people who got MIG wire welders and they can't weld very good at all.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:07 pm

He has a fab shop.... ;)
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Technical Discussion Forum