• Advertisement

Homelite Pressure Washer

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Homelite Pressure Washer

Postby andytw » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:01 am

Hi,

I have agreed to look at a Homelite Pressure Washer for a friend.
Fuel is pouring out and he has has tried to seal the float bowl to no effect.
So, stripped the carb and someone has been at the float needle as it has plier marks in the sides so that needs replacing for a start.
I would also consider doing the valve seat if I can get one as well as the bowl 'O' ring and bottom washer.

This is where the story starts. The engine looks like it it is Homelite's own and the carb is marked RUI*ING with some feint numbers.
I am happy at finding Zamma, Walbro, Briggs parts but am struugling with this combo.

The Washer is marker HPW2400.

Any help, suggestions, feedback appreciated.

andytw
andytw

Advertisement

Re: Homelite Pressure Washer

Postby RoyM » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:34 am

Unfortunately service parts are not available for the carburetor, replace it. It is so cheap to buy it is not worth spending time and money on. Welcome to the world of cheap imports! :roll:
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby andytw » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:32 am

Ok, thanks, understood.
Bit more research and digging shows me that the engine is a Rato RV160.
The float needle has not been damaged by pliers but is badly corroded. The chrome is missing in lots of places so it will stick and not run smooth in the brass jet body.
I have taken the advice on board but, to be honest, do not even seem able to source a replacement carb, searching on RV160 or HPW2400
I am in the UK BTW.

andytw
andytw

Postby RoyM » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:14 am

Neither can I.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby andytw » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:05 pm

Thanks again and thanks for the part numbers.
Unfortunately nothing local but looks like some of those would ship to the UK, so I will note for the future
BECAUSE in the meantime....
I cleaned up and removed the corrosion from the sides of the needle at the points of contact with the brass valve and it was now free and loose.
The rubber tip looks fine, I think it was just sticking in the brass.
I cleaned up the carb and put it all back together, but not before learning that leaving the float bowl 'O' ring in petrol/gas overnight was a bad idea, as it was now 10-15% oversize and no way was it going in the groove made for it.
A quick Google led me to boil it in water for 15 minutes and it was back to normal size.
All back together, the machine started up easy and ran fine, no leaks and my friend has used it this afternoon.

I would be interested in any comments in my observation that eBay sell Honda carb repair kits that look suspiciously like this RUI*ING carb which makes me think it is a rip-off copy of the Honda. As I am only likely to need a float needle in the near future I would go with a couple of ££ and see if the parts measure up the same and actually fit.

andytw
andytw

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:46 pm

Yes some of the Ruixing carburetor are Honda clones so thing like needle valve should work. This one looks the carb use on the Honda GCV160 engine.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:12 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Yes some of the Ruixing carburetor are Honda clones so thing like needle valve should work. This one looks the carb use on the Honda GCV160 engine.

Actually I think Ruixing is one of those up and coming manufacturers that seem to be gaining ground in OEM market share - Sort of like Zama did back in the 80's and 90's - you'd see them every so often now and then but not often enough to stock kits or parts.. and as time went by and they expanded their base model designs, they became more and more prevalent- to the point they, along with Walbro have virtually squeezed Tillotson out of the cube carb market - these days hardly ever see a Tillotson any more.. but there was a time when I'd see more Tillotson than any other brand in the shop (HU, HS were the 2 most common models, and I'd keep as many as 10 of a kit in stock.. typically RK-17HS and RK-14HU, if memory serves) .. but now Zama seems to be one of the most common , and Ruixing is cutting into their market share as being even cheaper (and since it is hard to find kits, and new carbs so cheap, well... ) .. Ive also seen Ruixing as OEM on Briggs engines and Honda engines as well... So, seems to me they are getting into the "low end" market share with "disposable" carburetors (thus, pointless to carry kits, meaning less inventory SKUs to stock) Tillotson still has solid market in powersports (snowmobiles, cycles, etc) Walbro has their filters and FPM businesses (selling to automotive industry), I would not be surprised if in 20 years from now, most 2-stroke carbs are Ruixing or Zama, with Tillotson and Walbro being "Antiquated".. that is, if 2-stroke engines are not phased out by increasingly stringent emissions regulations (or Battery powered, etc)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Return to Technical Discussion Forum