• Advertisement

Oil Pump failure

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Oil Pump failure

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:47 pm

Just anyone else ran into a Georotor locking up a Briggs 310000 series engine? I currently replacing one that hangs hand turning through. The engine came complete locked up which I manage to free up with both hands. Also found a severely worn oil slinger/governor gear. Unable to find any other reason for the lockup.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Oil Pump failure

Postby RoyM » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:20 am

That is unusual. How many hours on the engine? Is it lack of maintenance or did something come apart and contaminate the oil?
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:22 am

No hour meter but the engine is a 2007 model. Oil was recently changed. But I have checked the crankshaft journal just the engine was ran without or with polluted oil, no sign of any damage. The thing I think of is if something got into the rotor at that extra place and jammed it.

I would have thought it would be wear but one place shows that it is bottoming out. It is just hanging in that area. Normal wear marks on one side. It is just like the metal has swollen.

New Georotor was fairly smooth hand turning though several complete turns before installation.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Walt 2002 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:06 pm

Never came across that problem.

Walt Conner
Walt 2002
Forum Regular

Return to Technical Discussion Forum