• Advertisement

Hard Starting String Trimmer

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Hard Starting String Trimmer

Postby bill18163 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:06 pm

I'm going to keep working at it. I got a leak down tester today and I'll have to learn how to use it. From what I have been reading it should help me find out more about this problem.
bill18163

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:41 am

Here is some extracted info on the testing the cylinder from the service manual. Note: Document links are disabled as Stihl had added them but don't have the videos posted.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AhP6VW6j_ZC5i2VLC-H8Enlu2IWg
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bill18163 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:51 am

KE4AVB,
Thanks for the info. I know it will be helpful.
bill18163

Postby bill18163 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:55 pm

I'm still working on this Stihl FS130 trimmer and I need some input on the carburetor. I have rebuilt a lot of these small carbs over the years but I am having trouble with this one. It's a Zama C1QS130C. I disassembled it and cleaned it up with carb cleaner squirting the cleaner through all the small holes etc. Then I ran it through my electronic cleaner bath three times. Put it back together and it will not throw fuel into the combustion chamber. Pull all you want and no gas on the plug. Tore it down again and put the breakdown drawing right in front of me and reassembled it per drawing. I had it right the first time. It won't feed fuel. I bought a $11.00 carb off ebay and put it on the machine and it fired right up. Quality is bad. I had to drill out the throttle cable retainer so the cable would slide in and I had to grind some material off the impulse port so it would slide into the hose. Fuel adjusting screws are stiff and hard to tell when they bottom out when trying to get initial setting. Anyway the Chinese carb works but not as good as the original. Question is what am I missing on that original Stihl carb? Why won't it feed fuel?
bill18163

Postby bill18163 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:14 am

I just might have things under control now. Trimmer seems to be running OK but I'm going to use it a bit to make sure all is OK. I do have a question though. I have come across bits of information now and then where some guys are saying that using 91 octane fuel is beneficial. I would welcome any thoughts on the subject.
bill18163

Postby 38racing » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:51 am

bill18163 wrote:I just might have things under control now. Trimmer seems to be running OK but I'm going to use it a bit to make sure all is OK. I do have a question though. I have come across bits of information now and then where some guys are saying that using 91 octane fuel is beneficial. I would welcome any thoughts on the subject.

My understanding is that manufacturers started recommending higher octane fuel since there is a chance that it has 5% ethanol rather than 10%.
38racing
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum