• Advertisement

welch plugs

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

welch plugs

Postby plotthound » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:03 am

i picked up a repair kit for the carb on my stihl line trimmer the other day.i take the carb apart including the welch plug and after cleaning the carb I find that the proper size plug is not in the kit,what a P.O. where can a guy buy 1 lousey welch plug?
plotthound
Guide

Advertisement

Re: welch plugs

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:44 am

First which carburetor do you have?

Now I do know that the welch over the main nozzles is not available but most others are. I had to replace several carbs because of these being missing. Personally I don't remove the welch plugs even though I have most the Zama welch plug installation tools. I have found there is no need to do it when using an USC.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:58 am

its a walbro WT160B carb.the kit they gave me is a K20WAT.and its for sure the wrong one but the gaskets were correct,needle a pin were not.
plotthound
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:12 pm

According to the Stihl ipl for WT-160B (FS36, 40, 44) there is only one welch plug and it is 5/16" and the needle valve is a 3/8" one. Basically there is only two needle valve a short one and a long one. By the time you buy both these from Stihl you are better off getting another K20-WAT kit.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:41 pm

thanks for the reply,i found a cheap kit on amazon,can rob what I need from that. :mrgreen:
plotthound
Guide

Postby Arkie » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:08 am

KE4AVB wrote:First which carburetor do you have?

Now I do know that the welch over the main nozzles is not available but most others are. I had to replace several carbs because of these being missing. Personally I don't remove the welch plugs even though I have most the Zama welch plug installation tools. I have found there is no need to do it when using an USC.

Same here. I don't remove the Welch plug's unless the carb just won't come around with them in place and I make sure I have a replacement before attempting removing one. I have a go to storage place for spare welch plugs steel and aluminum. Using a Ultra S usually results in not having to remove welch plugs unless it's the Idle jet ckt one.

But I look for a replacement plug BEFORE I attempt removing the old one and if I'm not sure of the fit or don't have one I carefully drill a teeny hole in the middle of the existing welch plug, carefully remove it with minimum of distortion, reform it using a piece of leather as the backing and after re-installing I have a really good dripless epoxy that is about consistency of margarine when mixed and I seal the small drilled hole and the edges after re-installing.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:03 am

Arkie, HFT actually has a doming kit available. My problem is getting right size circle piece of metal to dome. I don't if those hole cutting gasket tools I got are good enough to cut aluminum circles. Sure would be nice to fix a $60 carburetor with a .02 part.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby plotthound » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:47 pm

ya I messed up,i could have swore that the right plug was in the kit.i either lost it or was thinking the screen was a plug.
plotthound
Guide

Postby plotthound » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:29 am

received my super cheapo repair kit from amazon.it had tons of stuff in it at half the stihl price.got the plug out of it and reassembled the carb and now my trimmer runs like new.the ultra sonic cleaner works awesome.
plotthound
Guide

Return to Technical Discussion Forum