• Advertisement

Carb icing

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Carb icing

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:09 pm

Believe or not I have Kawasaki FX751V-DS04 that has carburetor developing ice @ 90F and 90+% humidity. Engine hard to start right after shut down. Sit a few minutes and start right up. Carburetor is cold to the touch and is sweating on it exterior.

Not a coil, plug or carburetor problem. Has new coils and plugs. And carburetor has been rebuilt after a suspected fuel leakage.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Carb icing

Postby Skywatcher » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:14 am

Hi KE4

The Bernoulli principle can have some unexpected effects on carburetors. I remember our 2nd year technical school instructor for heavy duty mechanics telling us that carburetor icing can happen at temperatures way above freezing if the humidity and other conditions are just right. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Re: Carb icing

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:56 am

Understand the theory. I personally experience it with temps in the 70's many years ago in the Piper Tomahawk I was flying. It took over 5 minutes for the carburetor to thaw even with carb heat turned on. I was over a high congested area with no where to land. When I finally had the airport in site engine recover. I was getting pretty low as the engine lost a lot of hp. With the engine recovered I was able to get back on the proper glide slope for a normal landing.

Now I understand why all practice the instructors put me through on pretend problems. It so things are second nature with you run into these problems.

But this freezing at 90+ was a surprise. I figured it out to be the extreme humidity that I was mowing in as it came a cloudburst about 15 fifteen minutes later.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum