• Advertisement

MTD Tractor Starting problem

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: MTD Tractor Starting problem

Postby lefty » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:46 pm

Thanks. That's so funny. I had a neighbor stop by just yesterday telling me that same story after he took the tire off.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:59 pm

I just noticed this. I found the piece that's missing stuck under another magnet. I'm surprised by this because I've been extremely careful with this thing, yet...

Problem is, there's another piece fixing to come off. Do I brake it off? Is this flywheel junk. I know I have another floating around here somewhere that may be a match.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ovMJrpbweKuQVWqb8
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:02 pm

lefty wrote:I just noticed this. I found the piece that's missing stuck under another magnet. I'm surprised by this because I've been extremely careful with this thing, yet...

Problem is, there's another piece fixing to come off. Do I brake it off? Is this flywheel junk. I know I have another floating around here somewhere that may be a match.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ovMJrpbweKuQVWqb8

Probably should remove the shard if possible, but check all magnets to try and make sure they are not starting to come loose.. if magnets separate from the flywheel, flywheel is pretty much toast - Before matching up a new flywheel you also need to make sure of the size of the magnets (length x width) as there are 3 different sizes - bigger size magnets seem to be hard to find- but they are needed for the higher amp alternator systems.. (there's one charging system that uses all the same pieces, but uses different size flywheel magnets to vary the output..)

Also, those magnets can be very easy to damage if not careful with prybars (popping flywheel off) or loose screws that someone lost track of on the engine (or they rolled under the flywheel after placing them on the block for "safekeeping" and the tech didn't find it so got a new screw from somewhere else.. Ive seen a couple trashed alternators caused by careless techs like that)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby lefty » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:07 pm

I'm guessing someone must have done that. I removed the flywheel with the proper puller using the holes on the flywheel, so I know it wasn't me.

Thanks for the info.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby Arkie » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:03 pm

IMHO:

Since you are only using the rig as a tractor to drive around the Plantation/Ponderosa and not using a electric PTO clutch for a deck, only needing the stator to trickle charge the battery I would just remove that broken chipped magnet piece and make sure the other magnets are ok and no foreign objects still stuck to them, hidden underneath. If foreign object or a magnet piece comes loose you can easily lose at least the stator. The chipped magnet in your pic appears may be from external damage, not just a factory defect magnet.
Might be good time to check your other flywheel while you have that one off to see if it's will exchange so as you know if you do have a good spare. As bgsengine indicates several of them flywheels will not even interchange. I've even seen a difference in the crankshaft taper size not really noticeable until time to place it on the crank. :o
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:30 pm

Right. I'm also thinking, most likely incorrectly, that because I'm not engaging the PTO, that I may not stress the key/keyway as much? So I may get lucky in the long run on that as well? Given that it's not pristine.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:40 pm

This is the exhaust. This does look like the replacements I'm seeing on the schematic. Is this one hammered too?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TjU5DYkkYyjM511X7

Or are they supposed to be like this and not have a cap. I'm confused now.

Please disregard this. Realized it's posted on the wrong thread. My apologies. SHould I delete it?
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:17 pm

Hopefully, we're putting this one to bed. I may have confused people by accidentally getting my wires crossed. My apologies. The last post to this thread was meant for another. This is the one where I was having starting problems and ultimately found a partially sheared flywheel key. Well, I followed the instructions kindly offered and got her all back together. I wanted to wait a few days as to not jump the gun but so far, everything is great. Starts easily and runs well the several times I've started it. Both cold and hot over the past 3 days.

I also want to offer an apology for Arkie, for sending him on this wild goose chase. You guys have told me time and time again that one of my first checks should be that flywheel key. I'm sure he had assumed that was done. I just assumed that since it was running fine before and there was no "event" that would make me think that might be the case, I overlooked it. Lesson learned. Always check the flywheel key.

Given my need to always completely understand what's going on, I'm hoping someone may chime in and let me know if I'm on track:

The keyway seemed to be plowed out on the right and flywheel seems to be shifted to the right. In my head, this means that my ignition was late? since the flywheel is moving clockwise? So compression was too low during ignition when starting? Assuming that the problem is fixed of course, which it seems to be.
lefty
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum