• Advertisement

Toro Engine off its Rocker

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Toro Engine off its Rocker

Postby Skywatcher » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:09 am

Greetings All

A customer brought in a fairly new Toro SS-2400 zero turn mower that wouldn't start. When cranking the engine, sounded like the piston was hitting a compression on every revolution instead of every second revolution. I suspected a dropped push rod. Removed the rocker cover to find that exhaust valve rocker had broken, I've seen bent an broken rockers on intake valves due to varnish build-up on valve stem from using stale gasoline, but never a broken exhaust rocker. Has anyone else run into this failure on these engines?

Parts-Tree and the like indicate the rocker arm P/N 120-4301 has been superseded to a rocker arm replacement kit P/N 136-7885 which includes studs, rockers, retainers and locknuts. This indicates to me that the engine manufacturer realized there was a problem with the rockers, hence the updated version. Is this an unspoken admission of guilt by the engine manufacturer? All the best,

Sky

Machine information

Make: Toro
Model: 74720
Type: SS-2400
S/N: 401074664

Engine (made for Toro)
Model: 121-0799
Type: 452 cc
S/N: 17030002896
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Advertisement

Re: Toro Engine off its Rocker

Postby RoyM » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:42 pm

They found a problem occurring frequently enough that it was costing too much money so developed an upgrade. Manufacturers do it all the time.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum