• Advertisement

Ariens Tractor Burning Smell

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Ariens Tractor Burning Smell

Postby lefty » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:31 pm

Parts came in today for this. A new intake valve, the little replacement seal, keepers and washer that goes on the end of the spring.

Should I lap this new valve?

Also, should I replace that little seal? If so, do I just pull it out with a pliers and then push the new one in? Or do I install the valve and then push the seal over the end?
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:57 pm

1) Lap the valve - usually not necessary but I would probably do so at least lightly to confirm that it sits squarely on the seat (or do a leakage test using a bit of gas after assembling it)
AND AS far as the seal replacement, generally depends on the construction - but usually we'd install the seal on the guide first then install the valve.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby lefty » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:13 pm

After a test with fuel, it was evident that it required a good lapping. I went at it pretty good and had a nice tight seal on both valves. Put it back together and everything is running great. Ran it for about 5 minutes, changed the oil and filter, and then ran it for about 15-20. So far, everything looks great. Thanks so much for your help on this one. Looks like the wrong belt was the problem with the blade and the blown head gasket was the problem with the no start.
lefty
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum