• Advertisement

Kawasaki Camshaft

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Kawasaki Camshaft

Postby Skywatcher » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:37 pm

Greetings All

Does anyone have a service pricing guide or flat rate manual for replacing the camshaft in a Kawasaki V-twin engine on a Cub Cadet garden tractor. The valves are no longer in time with the piston so I'm assuming the rivets holding the composite gear to the steel shaft have started to let go and the gear has slipped. I've seen this happen on a Kawasaki engine on a John Deere garden tractor. I want to be able to give the customer some idea of the labor involved before starting the job. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sky

Machine information
Make: Cub Cadet
Model: 2086
Product # 146-735-100
S/N: 885855

Engine information
Make: Kawasaki
Model: FD620D
Spec: Missing
S/N: Missing
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Advertisement

Re: Kawasaki Camshaft

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:11 am

Considering it is a shaft drive model I would figure at least 4-6 hrs as some much got to be removed and reinstalled just to get the engine out and back in. Depends on how fast you are and if powered tools are used. Any way plan on an all day job.

The service manuals don't even much in the line of removal procedures. I just know it is going to be pain to do. I have seen several of these but never had to pull an engine yet.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:54 am

KE4AVB wrote:Considering it is a shaft drive model I would figure at least 4-6 hrs as some much got to be removed and reinstalled just to get the engine out and back in. Depends on how fast you are and if powered tools are used. Any way plan on an all day job.

The service manuals don't even much in the line of removal procedures. I just know it is going to be pain to do. I have seen several of these but never had to pull an engine yet.

actually quite easy to pop engine out on them, though there's a few tricks of the trade - and a crude hack if you so chose... Hood is easy enough - 4 bolts in front bottom for the stand to frame, and obviously, side panels.. if equipped, the PTO clutch (looks complicated but comes off easy, too , once you find the right bolts , plus the one small pin) undo the wiring harness and cables, 4 bolts to remove from engine mounting, and 4 bolts to remove from the shaft drive hub where it attaches to flywheel (and make sure you get it loose off flywheel before removing, it's a PITA to reassemble those roller cushions to the coupler) with a bit of experience, can pop a cubby shaft drive engine in about 10-15 minutes.. Hint: to undo the 4 shaft drive bolts, have to work from underneath and through the debris shield.. OR.. the crude hack - Slice the debris shield (if it hasn't already been - look for zip ties you can clip) to remove - you can punch holes and slip it back together when job is done, and fasten with small zip ties (I think it is actually a MTD factory recommended procedure, now that I think of it - I seem to recall reading a TSB...) and position it so the zip ties are down... (I have a feeling it was a factory recommended thing now.. it would really cut down on billable labor hours they would have to pay on warranty claims...) But as far as the kawi camshaft - only internal job I ever did on a Kawi really has been replacing a sump gasket but their construction seems quite similar to briggs/kohler so I would think , it being a horizontal shaft, maybe a couple hours labor .. but if it is a job never done before, I'd probably say to suggest 4-6 hours as KE4 said - estimate high and bill less, sure beats lowballing and then eating a few hundred in labor..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:02 am

It always take me longer on a never done before job which is why I suggest the time frame as if SKY is like he wants to remember how came apart the first time. I had one ATV job that took nearly 5 hours to get rear assembly out and back in the first time but only took an hour the second time around.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:20 am

Thank you Gentlemen

That's some good information. On the JD tractors with the same engine, the camshaft can be replaced without pulling the engine, just have to remove everything in front of engine and make sure everything is absolutely clean so nothing unwanted gets into the engine. I'll probably quote my customer 6 hours labor plus parts, freight, shop supplies and applicable taxes. Thanks again and all the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby 38racing » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:34 pm

taryl fixes all on youtube may have a video on changing camshaft on a kawi iirc.

yes. a fd590v water cooled vtwin in a jd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_DrnIt ... e=youtu.be
38racing
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum