• Advertisement

Two fuel pumps on briggs??

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Two fuel pumps on briggs??

Postby dart451 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:58 pm

Hello all,
Working on a Craftsman tractor, 917.255914, briggs 422437-1209-01 which is a basket case but I'm gonna try to get it working again. The engine runs great if you pour gas in the carb...but isn't pulling fuel. First thing I tried was to see if pump was working. Noticed it on the cowling...it's not pulling fuel at all when you turn it over. However this carb has a fuel pump attached to the carburetor. Did these tractors have two fuel pumps?? I do not see any other fuel pump in the diagrams!

dart451
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Two fuel pumps on briggs??

Postby RoyM » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:51 pm

There is no need for a second pump, somebody was lazy.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:19 pm

On this particular model Craftsman did use a second fuel pump. Item 20 on page 38 of owners manual but the 105041X is NLA so the Briggs hockey puck fuel pump could be subbed for it. Although as RoyM suggest it shouldn't be needed.

The 917.255917 is the closest owner's manual.
917.255917 Owner's manual and ipl
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:33 pm

Did you double check that carb for fuel pump? not all Briggs twin opposed came equipped with fuel pump on carb - some were built for gravity feed or for manufacturer supplied fuel pumps.. The pump casting is still there on carb body but no fuel pump parts installed nor holes drilled.. May not be original carb if it does have pump on it , also...

Those pumps on that craftsman were Walbro I believe - kits can be had still (very hard to find) to rebuild them... or of course can throw on a $10 pancake pump and rig it up to work, of course..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby bluemower » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:57 am

mr BGS is correct. The original carburetor did not include a fuel pump. There is a pad on the side of the carburetor that is drilled and tapped to accept a barb fitting. The separate fuel pump delivers fuel to this barb fitting. Why was this delivered without the fuel pump? who knows, maybe Briggs did not have enough of the regular models ready. Maybe AYP figured out a way to build this cheaper.

For owners who require a new carburetor, the part number on the parts listing states "carburetor" but is actually a Kit that includes the carburetor and the lower air filter housing. The Kit part number is listed as no longer available. Both the carburetor (pn 693480) and the lower air filter housing (222752) are available separately. To find the part number, look up engines that were produced after the 4 screw carburetor was introduced. The lower air filter housing is needed to provide room for the 4 screw fuel pump on the latest carburetors.

These garden tractors were built around 1990. Many of the opposed twins are still running. Some of the same tractors were equipped with the Kohler Magnum engines.
bluemower
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:59 am

Tnx for the info BGS and Blue. I came in late to small engines and can only go by the info I find on these. It does appears that the IPL don't these gravity fed carburetors and the ASPI 32 is no longer relative to these engines other mentioning that a new air cleaner base is needed for the 4 bolt fuel pump carburetors.

Again tnx as I have ran into one vertical version using that had an extra fuel pump but the carburetor did have a fuel pump so I removed the extra pump as it was unnecessary for the engine operation. I was thinking someone just the fuel pump on as they didn't repair the one on the carburetor.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:12 am

bgsengine wrote:Did you double check that carb for fuel pump? not all Briggs twin opposed came equipped with fuel pump on carb - some were built for gravity feed or for manufacturer supplied fuel pumps.. The pump casting is still there on carb body but no fuel pump parts installed nor holes drilled.. May not be original carb if it does have pump on it , also...

Those pumps on that craftsman were Walbro I believe - kits can be had still (very hard to find) to rebuild them... or of course can throw on a $10 pancake pump and rig it up to work, of course..

bgsengine...you are absolutely correct sir! Took off the air box and no...fuel pump casting is there but no pump attached. So, I only have one fuel pump that isn't working...I will try the hockey puck. Thank you gentlemen!
dart451
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum