• Advertisement

Kohler starter parts?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Kohler starter parts?

Postby BLES » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:37 pm

I often see Kohler starters, especially the 25-098-11 type. They are used on up to 40hp and some don't last one winter here in harsh conditions. Usually brushes are the weak link. Everyone just replaces the complete starter. Is there a way to get individual parts for the starters? When I look up, it shows parts, but just gives numbers for complete units. Can anyone point me to where individual parts are found? Obviously they're available but I can't find.
Thanks in advance.
BLES
BLES
Guide

Advertisement

Re: Kohler starter parts?

Postby 38racing » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:25 am

It seems that the -11 has superceded to -21. On partstree I've found break down numbers for one starter but not those.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:14 am

Parts list for the 25 098 11-S

BTW the 25 098 11-S is actually superseded to 25 098 24-S
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby BLES » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:50 am

KE4AVB wrote:Parts list for the 25 098 11-S

BTW the 25 098 11-S is actually superseded to 25 098 24-S

Can I ask where/how do I find this breakdown? I've seen a ton of these replaced just because of brushes. The brushes are expensive, but a lot better than a complete starter.
Thanks.
BLES
BLES
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:53 pm

I found the breakdown via Kohler Plus (dealer access level). Looked up the 25 098 11-S Delco starter then cross over to one of the related engine spec numbers for actual starter breakdown. The starter supersedes are from my price file downloaded from Gardner loaded on to my system.

You should be able to login via Guest at the bottom the following page.

https://pswusers.arinet.com/kohler
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:28 pm

Looks like Amazon.ca has the brush kit for 103 cdn . It says free shipping but it is shipped from USA may nut turn out to be free. Repairclinic.com in Michigan ships to Canada and looks like it would end up around 70 cdn + hst.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:47 am

But considering the price of a complete after market starter why rebuild the original starter.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=SDR0291
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby BLES » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:46 am

Thanks for the responses guys.

I think I can get the brushes for about $60 Cdn.
I was surprised at the Amazon starter price. Last time I checked, cheapest I found was about $150 and not usually free shipping. Plus often time is a factor, so who has one in stock/available to get a machine up and running asap becomes a factor. Sometimes a few hundred for an original "today" is worth it. I don't need one currently, just thinking about fixing some "cores" to have available when the neighbors call (… and they will! :D )

Still can't figure out how to get starter parts breakdown. I use the Kohler site to find parts and starters, but can't find breakdown of starters.??
BLES
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:38 pm

BLES wrote:Thanks for the responses guys.

I think I can get the brushes for about $60 Cdn.
I was surprised at the Amazon starter price. Last time I checked, cheapest I found was about $150 and not usually free shipping. Plus often time is a factor, so who has one in stock/available to get a machine up and running asap becomes a factor. Sometimes a few hundred for an original "today" is worth it. I don't need one currently, just thinking about fixing some "cores" to have available when the neighbors call (… and they will! :D )

Still can't figure out how to get starter parts breakdown. I use the Kohler site to find parts and starters, but can't find breakdown of starters.??

I don't think the guest login has the same parts data as the dealer site.. I havent logged in there for years now, though - easier (and at $75/hour labor rate, often cheaper) to just replace assemblies any more..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby BLES » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:13 pm

bgsengine wrote:easier (and at $75/hour labor rate, often cheaper) to just replace assemblies any more..

Yes, but sometimes I'm just playing, not paying shop rate. I also wonder if the aftermarket starters are as good (although they appear to be from lifespan.?).

Biggest issue I see with these particular ones is they are not enough starter for the job required of them. The same number rarely fails on small engines, but 36-40hp on grain augers in winter - they can't handle it. Add to that, some have hydraulic pumps and other stuff mounted with their associated thick oil... spells disaster in short order!

Thanks again for all the input. Have a great day fellas!
BLES
Guide

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum