• Advertisement

Vapor lock issues

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Vapor lock issues

Postby bgsengine » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:05 pm

creia wrote:
KE4AVB wrote:Depends on the setup. IF fuel pump the 40 micron should be fine but if gravity then it should be more like a 70 micron or looser version. I have ran the 70 micron version personally on my gravity fed 17.5 hp engine 31 series Briggs without problems.

Not many Quantum comes in with a filter but leave with at least a red pancake filter as I find trash in the fuel bowls.

I have a couple of those Briggs red "pancake" filters. I do not see a fuel flow directional arrow on them anywhere, so they can be mounted either direction?
Michael

Yep!
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby creia » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:49 am

bgsengine wrote:
creia wrote:
KE4AVB wrote:Depends on the setup. IF fuel pump the 40 micron should be fine but if gravity then it should be more like a 70 micron or looser version. I have ran the 70 micron version personally on my gravity fed 17.5 hp engine 31 series Briggs without problems.

Not many Quantum comes in with a filter but leave with at least a red pancake filter as I find trash in the fuel bowls.

I have a couple of those Briggs red "pancake" filters. I do not see a fuel flow directional arrow on them anywhere, so they can be mounted either direction?
Michael

Yep!

Thank you Brian! :)
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:29 am

There's a youtuber small engine guy in BC Canada who claims the red pancake filters are junk.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:38 am

38racing wrote:There's a youtuber small engine guy in BC Canada who claims the red pancake filters are junk.

Do you have a link?
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:44 am

I feel for you if you believe everything that is posted on Youtube. Some of the videos that I have been linked to over the years are pure junk.

I feel any filter is better than none at all. Yes the 150 microns is rare loose filtering and as long as the 75 microns version works well I use them over the red ones. With that said I have seen the red 150 microns completely pack with trash. They will however allow fine grit through. Matter of fact I just replaced one last week that was full of trash and with a 75 micron paper filter. Customer just got through mowing his lawn yesterday his 310000 series Briggs without problems. When I change the filter I did need to clean out his fuel of all the junk that was in it including gravel.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:15 pm

creia wrote:
38racing wrote:There's a youtuber small engine guy in BC Canada who claims the red pancake filters are junk.

Do you have a link?
Michael

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5i2siDlp90
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:42 am

38racing wrote:
creia wrote:

Do you have a link?
Michael

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5i2siDlp90

Thanks for posting- interesting. The Briggs filters I have state on the packaging they are rated 150 microns. Does anyone know if the screen he shows in the video is consistent with a 150 micron screen?
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:56 am

creia wrote:Thanks for posting- interesting. The Briggs filters I have state on the packaging they are rated 150 microns. Does anyone know if the screen he shows in the video is consistent with a 150 micron screen?
Michael

No idea - I don't bother watching those - anybody can make an argument for or against anything these days using twisted logic.. point is, genuine Briggs 150 micron filters are actually good. 150 microns is about 0.00590551 inches - of half a thousandth of an inch - barely visible to the naked eye... a micron is "short" for micrometer - or 1/10 of a millimeter... in other words - pretty damn tiny. most grains of dirt or debris are considerably larger than that.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby creia » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:57 pm

bgsengine wrote:
creia wrote:Thanks for posting- interesting. The Briggs filters I have state on the packaging they are rated 150 microns. Does anyone know if the screen he shows in the video is consistent with a 150 micron screen?
Michael

No idea - I don't bother watching those - anybody can make an argument for or against anything these days using twisted logic.. point is, genuine Briggs 150 micron filters are actually good. 150 microns is about 0.00590551 inches - of half a thousandth of an inch - barely visible to the naked eye... a micron is "short" for micrometer - or 1/10 of a millimeter... in other words - pretty damn tiny. most grains of dirt or debris are considerably larger than that.

Thanks Brian! :) I have been using these for many years with (apparently) good results. I figure that Briggs has been manufacturing these for many years and they are "tried and true" so I'm not changing now just because of some guy's video. :roll:
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:03 pm

What the guy is showing is a cheap after market version. The Briggs version here that I just destroyed is much better at filtering. Now you can still see through it but it not as easy to see through as the guy makes it out to be.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum