• Advertisement

Older briggs loves to surge!

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Older briggs loves to surge!

Postby dart451 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:37 pm

Put on a new carburetor on a Briggs 135202-0258-01...needless to say the linkage/governor system is complex to get back together. But, I do have it all back together but the carburetor surges badly. Can't seem to stop it no matter what I do. I did notice that the new carburetor I bought only has a Jet screwed into the carburetor adjustment needle that is on the older carb. I choke the carb some...I know if the mixture is lean, that usually makes it run smooth but this one doesn't. Only thing I can think of is it's a bad carburetor. Checked the spark plug also, even changed it out and checked the gap, all looked good. Any thoughts?
dart451
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: Older briggs loves to surge!

Postby 38racing » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:11 pm

Have you checked valve clearances?
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:08 pm

dart451 wrote:Put on a new carburetor on a Briggs 135202-0258-01...needless to say the linkage/governor system is complex to get back together. But, I do have it all back together but the carburetor surges badly. Can't seem to stop it no matter what I do. I did notice that the new carburetor I bought only has a Jet screwed into the carburetor adjustment needle that is on the older carb. I choke the carb some...I know if the mixture is lean, that usually makes it run smooth but this one doesn't. Only thing I can think of is it's a bad carburetor. Checked the spark plug also, even changed it out and checked the gap, all looked good. Any thoughts?

fixed jet carburetor is a royal PITA to deal with when putting on these older engines - You have to make sure you have *ZERO* air leaks - which typically are found around the intake gaskets (did you use double gasket?) - and like 38 says , valve clearances can affect that too. if it is mechanical governor, perhaps a static governor adjustment may help as well.. also, since some of these carbs are sold to fit 5 HP, but are actually for 3.5 HP - they'll be jetted wrong - so you will want to verify that the carburetor is actually for the engine you put it on.. (especially true on aftermarket carbs) - the actual replacement carburetor from Briggs would run around $125.00 or more and even those can end up with excessive lean problems. typically
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby bobodu » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:20 am

Put a "Tecumseh" sticker on it and call it fixed....
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:23 am

Does it smooth out when you hold the throttle vane steady? This usually tell you if it is carb or governor issue. Just remember if the idle speed is set too low it can cause this problem too.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:35 pm

No, the motor does not smooth out if I hold the governor...I have not checked the valves...damn thing looks like it was never used hardly at all but it's certainly one of the older engines. I like the last response...put a Tecumsi sticker on it and say it's fixed!
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:58 pm

Then the carburetor is the problem, not the governor. Is it OEM or an aftermarket? Is the fuel fresh and clean?
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby dart451 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:47 pm

It's a cheap aftermarket
dart451
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:17 am

Then it is time for the micro bits and figure out if it is idle mixture pilot jet or hi speed jet that is too lean. I would think it is the idle pilot jet being too restrictive but don't forget if the idle speed is set too low can cause this as most engine runs at near idle mixture when not under load. I had several engines this year where the idle speed was set too causing problems.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby creia » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:12 pm

bobodu wrote:Put a "Tecumseh" sticker on it and call it fixed....

That has to be one of the most witty and humorous replies I've ever seen on this forum! :D I've worked on a lot of the old Briggs and Tecumseh flatheads and there is some truth to that statement as well... :roll:
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum