• Advertisement

Older briggs loves to surge!

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Older briggs loves to surge!

Postby Arkie » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:23 pm

How was the original carb acting? (was it surging and hunting or not running at all or????
Did you try just replacing the diaphragm on the original or do anything at all to try a fix?
Those pulsa jet carbs will sometimes come around with just little TLC type cleaning and new gaskets, diaphragms is why I ask. A rusty bad inside gas tank is not a good thing for those type carbs either.

What is the part numbers on the clone carb you installed?

I've installed (replaced those type carbs with clones) and never had to fight the governor linkages, so that might be a hint as to the wrong carb.
Also use two gaskets on the intake or use a permatex silcone sealant such as copper plus on the intake gasket and be sure and use a anchor bolt in the bottom of the gas tank support to the engine block or the carb will vibrate loose and break off a intake ear, but leak air first and surge.
Here is a link to give you a few hints about the carb for that 5 hp engine.
The replacement clone carb should have been for a 498298 Briggs carb.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Re: Older briggs loves to surge!

Postby Arkie » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:30 pm

creia wrote:
bobodu wrote:Put a "Tecumseh" sticker on it and call it fixed....

That has to be one of the most witty and humorous replies I've ever seen on this forum! :D I've worked on a lot of the old Briggs and Tecumseh flatheads and there is some truth to that statement as well... :roll:
Michael

Yep, common for the later model Tecumseh's with the Al Gore low emissions carb to surge/hunt and buck and even more so when cold or cold weather and not a good thing when being used as a generator engine.
I've got a easy fix recipe for them lean type non-adjustable type Tecumseh carb's, but Al would not appreciate my fix for taking out their lean condition.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum