• Advertisement

Kohler Command, not a peep when I turn the key

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Kohler Command, not a peep when I turn the key

Postby TimB » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:02 pm

I have a Kohler Command CV20S on a mid-1990s Gravely Promaster 200 zero turn mower.

It started and ran fine when I last used it a couple days ago. The I parked it and a couple hours later, when I turned the ignition nothing happens except the indicator light next to the ignition goes on and off. Ditto when I hook it up to up jumper cables.

If I engage the PTO clutch and turn the ignition back and forth, the clutch clicks on and off. Otherwise won't make a sound.

The ignition switch was replaced 3 or 4 years ago.

I disconnected and cleaned the connections for the battery cables to ground and the solenoid.

Other than that, I have just been giggling wires while the ignition switch is engaged, but no luck finding anything loose yet.

Going to take a look at ignition switch and from following from there.

Any diagnostic advise would be greatly welcome.

Thanks,
Tim
TimB

Advertisement

Re: Kohler Command, not a peep when I turn the key

Postby KE4AVB » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:39 pm

Check start relay, PTO switch, and both lap bar neutral switches.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby RoyM » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:54 pm

Try jumping from the + battery cable to the solenoid to ensure it is working. Are you getting power from the start switch to the solenoid? If so there is a problem with the interlock system.
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby TimB » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:05 am

Thanks gents,

The start relay and interlock relay check out as good. The interlock system also has a delay module - looks to be a computer board. I hope that is not the issue.

I will check to see if the ignition switch sends power to the solenoid.

I will also check all the safety switches.

The PTO switch is just a few years old, and seems to be working since the electronic PTO engages (clicks) if I put the switch on and then turn the ignition to start. Is there a way it could be interrupting ignition if it is not switched to ON?

Tim
TimB

Postby KE4AVB » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:58 pm

That only the PTO on side is working. The starter circuit goes another of the switch when the PTO is in the PTO off position.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby TimB » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:15 am

The bad/good news is I spent 3 or 4 hours checking out whether various switches and relays were functioning properly (they were) and learned a bunch of good stuff about the electrical system of my mower. Which is good by me.

I did those things first because accessing the solenoid (integrated on the starter motor, and was hardly visible) involved removing the mower fender and battery and hydraulic oil reservoir which sit on the fender.

The good/bad is that once I was satisfied that the starter relay was sending power to engage the solenoid as it should, I accessed the solenoid and then could see that wire from the starter relay had just fallen off the terminal connecting it to the solenoid.

Problem solved.

Thanks for you advice guys.
Tim
TimB

Postby Skywatcher » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:42 pm

Hi Tim

Glad you found and solved the problem. You will find that mechanics is 85% diagnostics and 15% actually fixing stuff. The next thing you'll find is that of the 15% you fix, 95% is usually something simple, like a disconnected wire. The real fun starts when a machine comes in that someone else has already taken to pieces and put back together wrong. You have to then figure out how the machine is supposed to go together so you can run the diagnostics and find the real problem. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby TimB » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:57 am

Thanks Sky, I have many tools and toys with motors on them - mowers, snow blowers, antique outboards and many, many chainsaws. Still working full time so not much time to play with them, but hope to be semi-retired in a couple years. I expect I will be here more often then.

Tim
TimB

Return to Technical Discussion Forum