• Advertisement

John Deere mower

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: John Deere mower

Postby hanz63 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:18 pm

Definitely need all the pieces. It's amazing what damage that little arm can do. Though my first sump that was damaged was from the spring making it through the screen part way and the pump used it to score up that chamber nicely.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby jerkputter123 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:24 pm

Thanks for all the help. From the numbers I posted would this the cam he needs? Briggs & Stratton 793880 Camshaft

on this 17.5 briggs. He is going to remove the engine and tear it down. I passed the info I got here to him on what to look for. I will post back results. THANKS
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:00 pm

jerkputter123 wrote:Thanks for all the help. From the numbers I posted would this the cam he needs? Briggs & Stratton 793880 Camshaft

on this 17.5 briggs. He is going to remove the engine and tear it down. I passed the info I got here to him on what to look for. I will post back results. THANKS

Just be aware if they vendor ships the superseded PN 84005207 in place of the 793880 camshaft kit the tappets ((PN 690564) 2EA) are not included so they would need to ordered separately. As said depends if htey are the older PN or thee newer PN.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby jerkputter123 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:12 pm

I am also trying my best to talk into getting quality parts. Any vendors that you could suggest
I told him the exhaust was on top and to set it at .006 . Intake at .004 after he completes the job. Please correct me if that is wrong.
Thanks again. I will keep all updated. Tom
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby PtMowerMech » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:31 am

jerkputter123 wrote:Thanks for all the help. From the numbers I posted would this the cam he needs? Briggs & Stratton 793880 Camshaft

So this person checked the gap, and found the valve lash was not out? 99% of the time, for me, it's just the valves out of adjustment. I do get some ACR's that are broken. But it's not the norm.
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains,however improbable, must be the truth"
PtMowerMech

Postby jerkputter123 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:10 pm

Its more than the valves. The ACR has come apart. I ended up helping him. So far we got most everything out that came apart. Ordering parts now.
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby jerkputter123 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:00 pm

He got the parts and installed the new camshaft. I ended helping I was able to finally get the cover on after installing cam. Now when I spin it over by hand it sounds like it hits something after turning it two rounds. I made a mark and its at the same place. Almost like its hitting a detent or something. It will pass over what ever is that its hitting but I don't won't to install this engine until I find out that that noise is. I only got two bolts in the cover so no problem to pull the cover back off. Any idea what would make this noise ?
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby bgsengine » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:50 pm

jerkputter123 wrote:He got the parts and installed the new camshaft. I ended helping I was able to finally get the cover on after installing cam. Now when I spin it over by hand it sounds like it hits something after turning it two rounds. I made a mark and its at the same place. Almost like its hitting a detent or something. It will pass over what ever is that its hitting but I don't won't to install this engine until I find out that that noise is. I only got two bolts in the cover so no problem to pull the cover back off. Any idea what would make this noise ?

if it is every other revolution of the crankshaft then it is definitely in the valve train - perhaps you have a slipped valve guide that rocker is hitting (which will lead to a bent pushrod if it isn't fixed)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby jerkputter123 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:14 pm

Thanks, I will update tomorrow I hope. I plan on removing the cover in the am. Maybe I can see what the issue is.
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby jerkputter123 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:21 pm

I will add that I have not even put the push rods in yet. I just felt this bump when I was turning it over right after I got the cover installed. It felt like hitting something solid and then it went on over. I have a video uploaded to youtube that I could share but was not sure if that was allowed here. I will try and post results tomorrow. Thanks
jerkputter123
Guide

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum