• Advertisement

John Deere mower

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: John Deere mower

Postby bgsengine » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:04 pm

carefully check in between gear teeth for maybe small bits of old ACR that could have embedded.. or damaged gear tooth, possibly.. if pushrods arent in probably isn't any tension on tappets, unless a tappet bent and jammed , in which case you'd likely discover that when a valve won't move..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby jerkputter123 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:16 pm

bgsengine wrote:carefully check in between gear teeth for maybe small bits of old ACR that could have embedded.. or damaged gear tooth, possibly.. if pushrods arent in probably isn't any tension on tappets, unless a tappet bent and jammed , in which case you'd likely discover that when a valve won't move..

I will check the teeth in the morning and post results.
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby jerkputter123 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:41 am

I was thinking about the teeth last night after I posted plus when I went to bed my mind kept working. This is a new camshaft. How would the teeth be bad on it unless maybe it picked up something that was still in engine he didn't clean out. I would think if the crank had a bad tooth on it the noise would be on the first time I turn it over ?
Also the noise is coming from the opposite end of cam gear in top of engine. It defiantly hits something solid but it will turn on over. it just like it hits a detent ball valve if that makes sense .
I also agree about the noise being in the valve train otherwise it would make the noise each time its turned over. Maybe its nothing and normal. I never turned one over to see. It actually seems worse if the engine position is changed.
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby Skywatcher » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:53 am

Hi JP

I've been following this thread as a bystander since it was started, sounds like you are almost to the point of grasping at straws. If camshaft is new and all gear teeth are clean, the next thing I'd look at is what is driven by the camshaft, the oil pump. Check to make sure there's nothing lodged in the oil pump or causing the pump to bump on every revolution. Just a thought,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:25 pm

Skywatcher wrote:Hi JP

I've been following this thread as a bystander since it was started, sounds like you are almost to the point of grasping at straws. If camshaft is new and all gear teeth are clean, the next thing I'd look at is what is driven by the camshaft, the oil pump. Check to make sure there's nothing lodged in the oil pump or causing the pump to bump on every revolution. Just a thought,

Sky

Sky, I believe you hit the nail on the head as I had one earlier this year myself where you couldn't freely rotate the Gerotor pass one tooth. It actually had locked up the engine until I freed it up. Replace the Gerotor assembly and all was fine afterwards.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby jerkputter123 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:55 pm

Oil pump was good. I actually removed it yesterday as he was trying to get the cover back on with pump installed. :roll:
Last night I told him to go ahead and remove the cover and I would look at it today.
I didn't really pay that much attention to the cam timing as he already had the cam in. I looked and seen two marks together as he assured me it was in time.
Today I looked again and low and behold he had these marks together but not the right crankshaft mark. There are two marks on the crankshaft but one is clearly not the timing mark.
All I did was removed the camshaft and timed it correct. I also put the governor in , cover on, oil pump installed and it no longer makes the noise when turning it over by hand. I looked and didn't see anything it was hitting before I installed the cover but all I know now it is fixed. I oiled every good for him and also had to replace the seal as I assume the spring came out when he pulled the cover back off last night, not sure but I looked on the floor today and noticed the seal spring laying there :roll: . Set the valves for him also.
Anyway all seems to be good now.
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:17 pm

Just curious. Did you hand rotate the Gerotor through at least a couple complete turns while it was out?

But being out time can cause the problem but I did assume he had timed it correctly. My mistake for assuming something.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby jerkputter123 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:11 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Just curious. Did you hand rotate the Gerotor through at least a couple complete turns while it was out?

But being out time can cause the problem but I did assume he had timed it correctly. My mistake for assuming something.

I assumed also he had it in time. My fault for not checking yesterday. I should have known better to check before I posted so I will take all the blame even though its not my mower and not at my shop. Sorry for the questions. Next time I can assure everyone before I post I will check myself. Otherwise they have to register here and ask questions themselves. THANKS
jerkputter123
Guide

Postby Skywatcher » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:53 pm

Hi Again JP

Nothing to be ashamed about, even the most seasoned technician will occasionally make what we call a rookie mistake. All it takes is a little distraction at a critical point and a crucial step gets missed leading to a problem. To site an example. I was given an almost new Stihl FS110, four stroke hybrid engine and Y-handles that had been run on straight gasoline and the piston pin seized into the piston.

Took it to pieces, pressed the seized pin out of the piston, installed a new piston kit onto the connecting rod and the phone rang. Talked a customer through a problem, then reinstalled the cylinder and put the rest of the engine back together. Gave the unit a full run-up, ran great, then bang. The engine locked up solid but the flywheel kept spinning. In my distracted moment, I missed reinstalling one of the piston pin snap rings, piston pin had slid out and caught in a transfer port breaking the new piston and bending the connecting rod. $150.00 in new parts, a couple of hours wasted and a $650.00 machine wrecked because of a missed snap ring due to an ill timed phone call.

As I say, it happens to all of us, but luckily you caught your crankshaft to camshaft problem in time (possible pun?) and averted a potential disaster. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:26 am

As Sky said we all do make rookie mistakes, mostly from distractions but can be otherwise too.

Sky I can do one worst. I was changing the oil on a Mack semi tractor when as I was putting in the drain plug I had driver come in and distracted me. I fail a normal step of torquing the plug. The dang torque wrench was just laying there as usual. Later the driver took it out and after about 30 minutes the drain plug worked its way out. Draining out all 38 quarts. The driver was partially at fault too for the locked engine as ignored the loud buzzer and the bright dash light warning of loss of engine oil pressure. He ran it until the engine locked up. I got all the blame and I agreed that I must have missed a routine step.

I still think if the driver paid attention too it would not been all that bad. Probably all we would had needed to do was replace the plug and oil but keep driving it until it locked up.

Anyways it was an avoidable mistake only if I had double checked my work on the oil change. I lost my job over it.

Every since I double and triple things especially if I question if I remember doing something or not. Most times I have done what I don't remember clearly doing but it is usually because I had a customer to show up or call.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum