• Advertisement

CV joint retaining ring

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

CV joint retaining ring

Postby SUKI » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:33 am

Anyone know where to find a 3/4 (19MM) approximately .060 diameter closed round spring steel circlip CV axle joint? Or at least know of OEM version from another CV axle. American Sportworks does not provide these these circlips only want me to buy a $300 drive axle instead of less than a $10 part.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Advertisement

Re: CV joint retaining ring

Postby RoyM » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:42 am

What are you working on?
Briggs and Stratton MST
RoyM
Forum Pro

Postby SUKI » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:02 am

It is an American Sportworks Trail Wagon model TW650 After 2009. It is the double ended CV drive shaft. The axle diameter is 3/4" (19 mm).

I would have order about 15 open type but the end gap is too much on the XRO-430 so I need to special order the XCO-330 ones and die cut the ends if need to mounting the CV assemblies. XRO end gap on the 3/4 ring is between .592" and .623" and the ring I got is under .430". Personally even the .430 end gap too much as the clips are shearing on removal the joint. One these joints has to come off to get new boots on.

I got lucky on the current shaft as the owner still had the old from 2014 on hand and the last ring is intact but I would rebuild that axle now as to a spare later.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby SUKI » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:24 pm

Any thoughts on using 316 spring stainless steel wire to make these circlips?
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby bgsengine » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:06 pm

I would maybe think about visiting your local auto parts store and see if they have any spares for automotive CV joint kits - or visit a used car scrap yard or an auto shop - lot of auto repair techs may have extras or good used ones laying around collecting dust..
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby SUKI » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:15 pm

The auto part stores that I have been to are of no help. I was hoping someone in the ATV/UTV repair business had the energy to produce a cross reference of part number and size specs but apparently no one has even attempt such a thing. If I don't something by Sunday I will just order a 100 ft spool of 316 stain steel wire still less than a third of the cost of a new axle. I might learn something new too. May even start making some for sell of eBay. I cant be the only one that these a shearing on removal of the joint.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby bgsengine » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:08 pm

SUKI wrote: I cant be the only one that these a shearing on removal of the joint.
You arent - they are actually supposed to be replaced every time the joint is removed - which has always surprised me that they don't show up on many parts catalogs - most of the ones I did, I found the part numbers in the factory repair manual (some only came in a factory assortment kit) Unfortunately I never even thought about cross referencing them - Most times I had them out they needed new CV boots anyway and the clips came in the boot kit... and others I simply re-used, or found one on some other joint or axle that had been replaced and relegated to the scrap pile.. and still have a couple (unknown sizes) laying in toolbox "catch-all" drawer, I am sure.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby SUKI » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:44 pm

Boy I wish ASW included them with the CV Boots but they don't even include the bands or grease. Just having to use spare bands and grease that I have around from the Kawasaki and Honda ATVs. I can some time reuse the bands depending the type type are. These are the fold over type and I have already reused them once so it was a no go this time around as metal is too weak this time. So far in the last 7 yrs I have only needed to replace one Honda retainer and that was about 4 years ago. But this ASW wagon they seem to shear everytime I do the boots. If the owner would only stay away from the barred wire I would be replacing the boots so often.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Return to Technical Discussion Forum