• Advertisement

briggs and stratton 5.5 hp

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: briggs and stratton 5.5 hp

Postby creia » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:40 am

Tex,
Your story is precisely the reason I stopped using Champion plugs about 12 years ago and switched to NGK plugs in all of the old Briggs and Tecumseh flatheads I restore. I have not got one bad NGK plug since.
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby bobodu » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:16 am

Spent the better part of an afternoon chasing down a bad NGK plug....my first ever.
Went to the store and got another....spent way too much time on finding out that one was bad too....
Went to another store and bought four new ones...
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby KE4AVB » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:35 am

It does seem NGK quality has suffered a little lately.

I do except plug failures just not straight out of the package. Normally for me NGK are fairly reliable plugs but the CMR series are problematic plugs. From total failures to random misfires and even one case of dieseling cause by a hot plug. Another one that seems to be a problem is the NGK-3481 use in the Kohler small engines on push mowers. I had two less than 6 months old to fail.

But in general I haven't had new plugs to be problem most days; however, just like anything else there will be failures. Just in case of failure I do however keep several on hand at all times.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:33 pm

one thing of note - after doing as bit of research on the issue a couple years ago in response to a buyer question on ebay, I found that it seems NGK is one of the most heavily counterfeited spark plugs, (there are some clues to it being a fake NGK, but not easily obvious without knowing what to look for) So, just because it says NGK, there's a possibility that it's a fake counterfeit plug.. Whoda thunk it?? hard to believe such a cheap item as a spark plug would be worthwhile to counterfeit.. So, it pays to be sure of your sources (I.E. Legit distributors and dealers who will track their source of supply, auto parts jobbers, etc... I'd be doubtful of anything from wal-mart, target, or closeout lots, etc.. they'll buy ANYTHING if the price seems right)
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby SUKI » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:47 am

Yes they fake plugs or anything of value if the there is a profit to be made. It probably the very reason I had wait on a couple boxes of NGK plugs this summer but I wasn't going to pay Kohler double for the same re-labeled plugs. If I was having problem getting genuine NGK then it probably was because the fakes being cheaper.

I actually ordered the plugs in June and didn't get them until November. Normally my distributors have most NGKs in stock. Even with that I keep a few on hand of the commonly used ones so I don't need to wait a couple days shipping time.

BTW you can throw Amazon in there too as there are third party vendors selling after markets as OEM parts. I know I got burned on a set Cub Cadet spindles. They turn out to be junk as they were defective. I had to paid the return shipping and on top that I got socked with a 30% restocking fee on defective parts. I should keep them as the housings were usable just needed different spacers. I did learn something though and that was I could get the tapered bearing from my bearing supplier a heck a lot cheaper than MTD.
SUKI
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby creia » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:13 pm

bgsengine wrote:one thing of note - after doing as bit of research on the issue a couple years ago in response to a buyer question on ebay, I found that it seems NGK is one of the most heavily counterfeited spark plugs, (there are some clues to it being a fake NGK, but not easily obvious without knowing what to look for) So, just because it says NGK, there's a possibility that it's a fake counterfeit plug.. Whoda thunk it?? hard to believe such a cheap item as a spark plug would be worthwhile to counterfeit.. So, it pays to be sure of your sources (I.E. Legit distributors and dealers who will track their source of supply, auto parts jobbers, etc... I'd be doubtful of anything from wal-mart, target, or closeout lots, etc.. they'll buy ANYTHING if the price seems right)

Thank you for this Brian! :o Can you pass along any "clues" as what to look for in a counterfeit NGK plug?
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Postby bgsengine » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:29 pm

creia wrote:
bgsengine wrote:one thing of note - after doing as bit of research on the issue a couple years ago in response to a buyer question on ebay, I found that it seems NGK is one of the most heavily counterfeited spark plugs, (there are some clues to it being a fake NGK, but not easily obvious without knowing what to look for) So, just because it says NGK, there's a possibility that it's a fake counterfeit plug.. Whoda thunk it?? hard to believe such a cheap item as a spark plug would be worthwhile to counterfeit.. So, it pays to be sure of your sources (I.E. Legit distributors and dealers who will track their source of supply, auto parts jobbers, etc... I'd be doubtful of anything from wal-mart, target, or closeout lots, etc.. they'll buy ANYTHING if the price seems right)

Thank you for this Brian! :o Can you pass along any "clues" as what to look for in a counterfeit NGK plug?
Michael

https://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/t ... index.html

or you could just google it - lot of results - https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... park+plugs
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby creia » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:44 am

Brian,
Thanks for the links! :) I just did a Google search (lots of hits) and I was not aware just how widespread the problem was. :o
Michael
creia
Forum Pro

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum