• Advertisement

John Deere parts?

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

John Deere parts?

Postby hanz63 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:42 pm

Who is everyone using for belts and other parts for JD nowadays? I generally do OK with Stens or Rotary belts, but the fact is they are less robust than the OEM for the most part. I've been buying the OEM now for a while, but the dealer by me was just eaten by a bigger fish and my nice discount is gone. I set up an account online with a JD dealer and found that their since I know ya price was more than list, so that doesn't seem to be a go. Heck, I'd even do a stock order somewhere for the common ones I use.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Advertisement

Re: John Deere parts?

Postby KE4AVB » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:31 am

Sorta the same about the discount the local dealer agreed to here. It just vanished and I got stuck with their retail and ridciulous shipping fees. Even the JD Parts changed to where I can't look-up the local dealer branches to check stock levels. Actually the local has become a royal pain in the backside to deal with.

So far if I can wait a few days I have getting my parts from Green Farm Parts (GFP). At least they give a small discount and have reasonable shipping charges. As for belts I have a treble time getting any after market belts that are the correct size for anything.

At least give GFP a check out.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby DennyIN » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:07 pm

I like to use the John Deere Belts for the transmission drive at least, have used the kevlar at rural king for deck belts etc. I just go online and search for pricing, including evilbay. When it comes to shipping I weigh that with the price as I have to drive at least 17 miles one way to a dealer, so there is the fuel and my time to consider. I've also used GPS for a source and been OK with their service. It is rare that I go by a dealer so mail order is my go to most of the time.
DennyIN

Postby DennyIN » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:09 pm

I like the old JD parts lookup so much better than the one now, just my two cents on that.
DennyIN

Postby Skywatcher » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:17 pm

Greetings All

Guess I have a better than average relationship with my local JD dealer. I pulled wrench there for 15 years and went independent in 2000. The technicians there hate working on the small stuff, so the parts guys keep a stash of my business cards behind the counter and often send Consumer Product customers my way so the techs can work on the real revenue generators at $156.00 per hour. The also give me a small discount on in-stock items and a slightly better one on any stock-order items. The dealer is on the highway going into the next town south and my wife or someone is usually going into town a couple of times a week.

I've known the parts manager since 1981 when he was a mechanic at the International Harvester dealer where I was the gas jockey for the Gulf Gasoline station attached to the front end of the dealership. To my fellow Canadians, I can remember regular leaded gasoline selling for 33.3ยข per litre and IH combine harvesters coming in on CP Rail flat cars. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby 38racing » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:28 pm

Skywatcher, 33.3 a litre? You must be a young fellow. I remember a gas war when I was in high school here in Ontario where gas was 32 cents an imperial gallon. Even a grade 12 kid could afford to drive a 54 hemi.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:25 am

Yeah, GFP is not really advantageous for me to use. I've bought a few belts and that crazy big 30 second oil filter from Hartville. Maybe I should approach them on a bigger order.
hanz63
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:20 am

38racing wrote:Skywatcher, 33.3 a litre? You must be a young fellow. I remember a gas war when I was in high school here in Ontario where gas was 32 cents an imperial gallon. Even a grade 12 kid could afford to drive a 54 hemi.

Boy I remember pumping gasoline for 0.25 per US gallon here when I was in high school. Even prices currently under $2 still looks good when compare those days of $4+ per gallon a few years ago.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:22 am

hanz63 wrote:Yeah, GFP is not really advantageous for me to use. I've bought a few belts and that crazy big 30 second oil filter from Hartville. Maybe I should approach them on a bigger order.

Yes I know but I can't find everything otherwise. Places like Amazon helps. Just got to use your head when buying parts.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby hanz63 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:22 am

I suspect that our main distributors of things we get everyday our wanting to tighten things up as well. PD seemed pretty consistent, but the Kohler / AYP distributor is. I don't buy much from the big aftermarket suppliers, maybe a half a dozen orders each in a year or so. The Amazon can sell you pretty much the same thing and have it to you quick and in a hurry if you need something for a customer at the end of the week....
hanz63
Forum Pro

Return to Technical Discussion Forum