• Advertisement

Toro T1800 Generator

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Toro T1800 Generator

Postby lefty » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:31 am

One last question on this...I hope.

The air filter on this has disintegrated. I think it's part number 50-2470. It appears to be discontinued and I can't find it anywhere. Is there maybe a bigger one that would fit I could cut down. Not sure if anyone has knowledge regarding this. Is making custom foam filters a skill I need to learn?

Thanks.
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby Skywatcher » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:06 pm

Hi Again Lefty

Looks like this is a foam block with a bolt hole through it. Foam block can be quite tricky to cut, so here's what I've done in the past. Take a pre-filter foam wrap from an old Honda, Kohler or Onan engine or the like and give it a good wash out with solvent followed by dish detergent and hot water to get it as clean as possible. The IPL for your generator shows a metal plate sitting just above the filter block. Use this metal plate as a template to cut as many blanks as you need to make up the height of the original filter.

The blanks should be a friction fit into the filter housing so dirt can't get past the edges. A small leather punch is really handy for cutting the bolt hole through the blanks, if you don't have a hole punch, cut a small X so the bolt can pass through each blank. Now you can either apply a small amount of oil to each blank and stack them one at a time into the the housing, or use a light application of spray foam adhesive between each blank to form a filter block. Once the adhesive has fully cured, apply some oil to the newly formed block and install as per usual.

I have seen some people use Scotch-Brite pad material for air filters, but this stuff has a very open structure and can let dirt pass through the material. I have used this material as a backing support for an oiled foam filter, and as a pre-filter before a paper air filter figuring it would be less attractive to mice, but would not use it as filter material by itself. Hope this gives you a few ideas with which to work. All the best,

Sky
A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.
A person who cares about what he sees and does is a person who's bound to have some characteristics of Quality.
Robert M. Pirsig. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance)
Skywatcher
Forum Pro

Location: Southern Alberta. Where the wheatlands meet the Range.

Postby Arkie » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:15 pm

Couple ideas:
I have a big carboard box of foam packing material different thickness, some about 4 inches thick that I use for making air filters when I run into a NLA type mostly for small engines, chainsaws, old air compressors.
You do want open cell type foam (not closed cell) and on some air filters, especially my air compressors I use a pre filter that is just a painters mist type respirator (prefer white) usually held on by large rubber band or tie with the attached ear pieces and when I see the white mist respirator dirty just replace. Doing this will make the main inner filter last almost forever.
May even give the comp pump little bit of Covid protection.

You need to keep a heads up about making foam filters. some foam will eventually age and break-up or start shedding small pieces and get sucked into the engine if no fine screen behind. Some Honda ATV's use a fine wire mesh similar to window screen to catch pieces of their foam filter it get's loose and heads towards the carb throat. Seen one Honda ATV filter where mice had chewed on the foam and the downstream catch screen just before the carb throat was packed solid with loose foam.
Arkie
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:45 pm

bobodu wrote:I miss Bruce.... :cry:
And Walt...he had more practical knowledge in his toe than I will ever have.

Walt still chimes in on mytractorforum.
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby 38racing » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:48 pm

James condeon does a lot of generator videos on YouTube. He sets noload hertz to 61.5
38racing
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:13 pm

Maybe this stuff will work? I have several sheets of it. Maybe I can stack it up? I think it was wrapping up some motherboards or other type of electronics in the past. Seems open celled. I can blow right through it and it's very soft.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JZT5Uwrq1UB7nF7MA
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:51 pm

Do you know the general size of the filter you need? Is it something like 5-1/3 x 2-3/4 1-1/4 or 6 x 3-1/4 x 1-1/2?
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:01 pm

KE4AVB wrote:Do you know the general size of the filter you need? Is it something like 5-1/3 x 2-3/4 1-1/4 or 6 x 3-1/4 x 1-1/2?

Kind of. I can measure it to close. Start a little proud and work my way down if necessary. Not off hand but I'm sure I could find out. Are you thinking buy something that's close and modify?
lefty
Forum Pro

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:17 pm

lefty wrote:
KE4AVB wrote:Do you know the general size of the filter you need? Is it something like 5-1/3 x 2-3/4 1-1/4 or 6 x 3-1/4 x 1-1/2?

Kind of. I can measure it to close. Start a little proud and work my way down if necessary. Not off hand but I'm sure I could find out. Are you thinking buy something that's close and modify?

Not me but you. And yes if you need something slightly smaller either of the two sizes I posted then chose one then I can give the Toro PN so you order one and cut it down to fit.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby lefty » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:54 pm

That is kind of you. I'd appreciated it. My dims are:

3 7/8" long, 2 1/2" wide and 2" deep. Like a big block. I'd say that's within 1/16th accuracy.

Thanks again.
lefty
Forum Pro

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum